Can't run to save my life

Options
andyhartleyuk
andyhartleyuk Posts: 21 Member
What is the best way to run I know I read about it it's the from to lose fat and get into better shape

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to run I know I read about it it's the from to lose fat and get into better shape

C25k
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Yep, following a program is helpful but not everyone can be a runner. I'm not. I prefer power walking or walking on hills. But, give a program a try and see how you do. You will also get better information on the "Fitness" thread. Lots of new runners there and even more experienced runners to give advice.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    You have a bike. Why would you want to run?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

The best way to, lose fat's to; consume less calories because most, people're unable; to outrun their forks!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Do you WANT to run? I mean, I love to run, but it certainly isn't a magical solution. There are lots of other ways to get in shape, and if you don't like running, don't.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. It tends to be much easier than running outside. Set it to intervals where your running for short stints and walking.
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Same. I feel like I am literally dying when I have attempted to jog.....
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    If it was truly a matter of saving your life, you'd run. Maybe try running in deep bear country...
  • mechell007
    mechell007 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Neither. Can. I. But, c25k did get me running a lil back when I used it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Do you WANT to run? I mean, I love to run, but it certainly isn't a magical solution. There are lots of other ways to get in shape, and if you don't like running, don't.

This. I am not a runner. I will never be a runner. I do not WANT to be a runner. There are dozens of other forms of exercise and cardio that make me NOT want to drink bleach to end my misery, that I can do to stay fit. Fitness should be rewarding fun, not a drudging chore. Find something you like doing.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Do a lot of walking and I mean fast walking. When you build up over weeks of walking start to add some running into it. Walk a mile and run 1/4 mile. as the run becomes easier extend the time and distance of the running portion. I used this method to build up to the point I was running 30 miles a week. Previously I thought "I can't run because of bad knees, they get sore" Start slow and build. Also get fitted for shoes at a running store.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the actual definition of "run" focuses on the element that, at some instant in your stride, both feet are off the ground.

So you can do that at a snail's pace, for all I care. It's running.

"Jogging" is just a subcategory. Like "sprinting." But both are still "running."
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If you are picking up your feet more than walking pace you are running. My story and sticking to it.

• andyhartleyuk
    andyhartleyuk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can ride a bike all day done a ctc ride within 9 hours 170 miles but for me to run I do find it hard work
  • Baggyd
    Baggyd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The C25k is a good place to start. Running does take some time to get into if you're only starting out. Maybe finish the plan & see if you enjoy running and want to continue with it. Ultimately it's very rewarding not only in the calorie burn sense.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I can't run ever since I had back surgery, but I still get out and walk about 5 miles a day. Takes longer, but by the time I get home, I have put the stress of the day behind me.