I need to lower my carbs, but eat a higher amount of calories. Oh and I have Crohns Disease too.

Options
Help!!! I need some advice. I need to eat 2400 calories a day, but I cant seem to do that without going way over my carbs goal. I have goals of 40 % Protein, 40 % carbs, and 20 % fat. I have difficulites also hitting my protein goals for the day, because I have limitations on how much proteins I can eat, because I have Crohns Disease, and it makes it difficult to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Chris

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Do you have a doctor? Ask for a food plan. That is really specific and challenging if you're trying to hit 40% protein without eating too much protein...

:huh:
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are trying to keep carbs low?
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you need to keep your carbs low? Low carbs isn't required to achieve weight loss.

On another note, a good friend of mine has Chrohn's and Celiac Disease and she pretty live on meat and produce. Why do you have to keep your protein down?

In any case, if a medical condition means you can't hit those macros numbers, don't. You will lose weight as long as the calories ou eat are less than you burn.
  • chovland527
    chovland527 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Protein doesnt digest well for me. Thats why i have to limit it. So i should be mainly focused on my calorie counts, and trying to eat as healthy as possible, without going crazy right??
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Can you up your fats? That can help you get to 2400 in a jiffy.

40% of 2400 calories doesn't seem like it's limiting protein...?
  • chovland527
    Options
    It's not that it's limited by that aspect but I'm hesitant to eat a lot of protein because of digestion
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    For weight loss purposes calories in vs calories out is it...macros (proteins, fat, carbs etc) won't change this. If you have trouble eating a certain food group then limit it as necessary...it won't affect your weight loss goal overall if your calories in are lower than your calories out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If I were you my priority would be to choose foods that don't flare up the Crohn's and my second would be to keep to my calorie goal. The macro split is for people in average circumstances. You are above average.

If the carbs digest well, do the carbs.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Chris, I'm going to agree with Luna about increasing fats. This can be high fat meats - bacon, full fat hamburger (if you can get 70/30, or whatever the highest fat available in your area), sausage, etc. Usually cheese is even higher in fat and most nuts (and peanuts) are high fat as well. Depending on how low you want to keep carbs, you might be cautious about quantity of nuts. All of these foods have some protein, but mostly are made of fat - except some meats might have more protein than fat... you want to select meats with higher fat content.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Protein doesnt digest well for me. Thats why i have to limit it. So i should be mainly focused on my calorie counts, and trying to eat as healthy as possible, without going crazy right??

Yep! Eat what works for you.

Is it specifically meat protein that causes you issues? Beans, nuts, nut butters, cheese, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, avocado, and quinoa are all good sources of protein. These are all good sources of fats and calorie dense foods so they can help you get to your goal of 2400 calories. You can always supplement with protein shakes if you still need to get your calories up. Whey protein is hard on my stomach but vegan proteins are no problem.
  • chovland527
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!! I appreciate all of the insight to this. I have suffered with being overweight most of my life, and I will admit that I havent taken care of myself as well as I probably should have in the past. I have two wonderful daughters and a loving wife, and I want to live healthier to be here for them in the future. Thanks again!!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Have you tried white meat? I can't digest red meat well but chicken is pretty safe (I have crohn's too)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you like peanut butter. It has a lot of calories, and 70% of them are from fat.

Don't make yourself crazy with macros. Focus on the one or two you need to due to your medical issues and satiety and the rest will take care of themselves.

For example, unless you have a medical reason other than being overweight to limit carbs, you don't need to limit them just to lose weight.