I'm a big reader. Water For Elephants question and book sugg

Options

Replies

• snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options

I recommend The Help, the movie comes out soon. I loved the book, I'm really looking forward to the movie!

Amazing book! Can't wait to see the movie!
  • snewsome7
    Options

I really liked Poisonwood Bible. I also LOVED Life of Pi and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I just finished The Help and it's probably not in my top ten of all time, but it was pretty good and made me think (especially because it was really close to my husband's grandmother's life story, except she grew up in Memphis and not Jackson).

I just bought A Thousand Splendid Suns!! Next on the list. I heard it was really good and better than The Kite Runner which was awesome!
  • snewsome7
    Options
    I loved the book, haven't seen the movie.
    If you haven't read it, I highly recommend The Time Traveller's Wife. The book though, not the movie - that was pretty ordinary.

I second TTW! I was bawling at the end. =)

I third! Great book!
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    I love to read! Some of my favorites have already been mentioned but I'll still include them on my list:

I Know This Much is True, Wally Lamb

The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver

The Red Tent, Anita Diamant

The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini

The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood

The Prince of Tides, Pat Conroy

The Help, Kathryn Stockett

Life of Pi, Yann Martel

A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options

I really liked Poisonwood Bible. I also LOVED Life of Pi and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I just finished The Help and it's probably not in my top ten of all time, but it was pretty good and made me think (especially because it was really close to my husband's grandmother's life story, except she grew up in Memphis and not Jackson).

I just bought A Thousand Splendid Suns!! Next on the list. I heard it was really good and better than The Kite Runner which was awesome!

They're both fantastic. Personally, I liked The Kite Runner better, but they're both great.
  • snewsome7
    Options
    I love to read! Some of my favorites have already been mentioned but I'll still include them on my list:

I Know This Much is True, Wally Lamb

The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver

The Red Tent, Anita Diamant

The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini

The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood

The Prince of Tides, Pat Conroy

The Help, Kathryn Stockett

Life of Pi, Yann Martel

A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini

Thanks for the suggestions! There is a store called 2nd and Charles where I live and they sell used books and I have seen a lot of these there. Time to make a trip :]
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    Heaven is for Real-Todd Burpo is AWESOME!!!!

A Thousand Splendid Suns-Khaled Hosseini.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i was worried about seeing the movie too but it was great. Not as good as the book, but quite close. Worth seeing
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Water for Elephants ranks so high up there for me, and I know it's not even one of the best books ever. I just so connected with that story. Seriously it's like:

1. To Kill A Mockingbird
    2. The Great Gatsby
    3. Water For Elephants

I highly recommend the movie after you read the book. Even my husband liked it.

As for suggestions, I end up reading a lot of Young Adult/Juvenile Lit (The Hunger Games, A Wrinkle in Time, Pictures of Hollis Woods are among my favorites). But also I would be remiss to not recommend The Book Theif by Marku Zusak. A-MA-ZING.
  • maggiedcs
    maggiedcs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I looooooovved "Water for elephants"

Go to my blog and check out the book recommendations on right hand bar. I only pick books that I have read and reread. Also, there are some really cool pictures of robins raising babies in our flower basket this spring...

www.strobbeberry@blogspot.com
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

They're both fantastic. Personally, I liked The Kite Runner better, but they're both great.

I liked TSS better than KR because there were times the main character in KR did things that I felt were illogically stupid just so the book could have a dramatic twist. His actions didn't seem entirely coherent at times. I agree, both were amazing books and I learned a lot about Afghanistan from both of them.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    a thousand splendid suns is one of my favourite books in the world. Absolutely wonderful.
    Also the red tent. Awesome book, and The Help. I want to read it again, it was that good.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    My absolute favourite book ever was gone with the wind. I was unexpectedly blown away by how good it was.
    Never seen the film though
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    So many great books here - I second The Help, Poisonwood Bible, Thousand Splendid Suns, Kite Runner.. I'd like to add to your list We need to talk abut Kevin (Lionel Shriver), Perfume (Patrick Susskind - much better than the film!).
    I've just finished the Slap, which I enjoyed but had mixed reviews, have started Q&A (the book of Slumdog Millionaire) and am also itching to get going on Micka (Frances Kay), which I think will be a short one-sitting read.
    My fave book of all time is probably The Shipping News, the film of which was for the most part a huge disappointment!
    Lindsay
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My absolute favourite book ever was gone with the wind. I was unexpectedly blown away by how good it was.
    Never seen the film though

Hahaha - I see what you did there - Gone with the Wind, blown away!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest reading anything by Christopher Moore. The man is a comedic genius (though he's probably not everyone's cup of tea). My favorite book of his is Lamb.
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have not read nor seen Water for Elephants, but my reccomendation for you is Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford! I don't want to tell you too much about it, but it is a fabuous read and make sure you have plenty of tissues near you!
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love books and am looking for someone to talk, briefly about books. Mostly fiction but I can get into non-fiction history mostly. Water for Elephants was a good moral tale but I like more action. My next book is Adrenaline by Jeff Abbott
  • NHGirl23
    NHGirl23 Posts: 2,657 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Where to start with books I recommend. Hmmm....

Fiction:
    Sci Fi: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (and the rest of the series)
    Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCafferty
    The Shapeshifers series by Robertson
    anything by Sheri Tepper
    anything by Octavia Butler (read her series' in order, they build heavily on each other)

Young Adult: Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
    Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
    The Giver by Lowry
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
    The Great Gillie Hopkins (cant remember who wrote it)
    Seedfolks by Fleishman

Regular straight up fiction (historical, dramatic, etc.)
    The Night Garden by Elizabeth Swann (might be Gardener, not garden)
    Winnona's Web by (can't remember the author)
    anything by Jean Aul
    Moon Under Her Feet by Klista Kinstler
    Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk (this is actually found in the Sci Fi section in most stores)

Non-Fiction:
    On Food: The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
    Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
    Clean Eating by Torre somethig (forgot)
    Preserving the Harvest bi Carol Costenbader

Essays or Memoirs: Everything I Need to Know I learned in Kindergarden by Fulgrum
    In Search of our Mother's Gardens by Alice Walker
    A Year of Living Biblically by A.J. (last name forgotten by me)

History: The Slave Ship (forgot the author)

This is an abbreviated list, without looking at my bookshelf. All are fantastic.

Anyone else mourning Borders?