Every damn time

Options
whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
I've been lifting (Stronglifts) and doing bodyweight exercises for three weeeks this time. Every time I get into a rhythm with lifting I strain something and have to stop lifting for a few weeks. And I don't even know it because the strain doesn't begin hurting for 1-2 days after. Which means I'm not sure which exercise I'm overdoing, either. Every damn time. I am not even lifting heavy. 50-lb squats and bench press last session. Did not deadlift. I have progressed to 5 sets of 50 lbs from an empty bar OVER A THEEE WEEK period. I'm being very conservative and paying close attention to form. I'm just venting, not looking for solutions. Obviously my form is off somewhere. I'm just discouraged.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I think it would be worth your money getting a few sessions with a personal trainer.
  • whmscll
    Options
    I have.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Frustrating! Maybe an Analysis with a PT and they'd have more training for figuring out where the issue comes from?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    What part of your body are you straining?
  • whmscll
    Options
    Every time it is something different! Right now it's my right trapezius.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Just ask another lifter to watch your form. Have them tell you if they see anything that needs corrected. I shoot bow and once in a while I have my husband watch me shoot because I tend to go back to old habits and not see it myself.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How are you warming up? How does a strain severe enough to keep you out a few weeks not start hurting until days later?
    Also based on the muscle that is injured, you should be able to narrow down what movement caused it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You are doing stronglifts AND body weight? Maybe do one or the other. You will get sore, but an injury requiring weeks of recovery should not be happening. Check your form, stay at the lighter weight(empty bar or an even smaller bar if available) until you can complete all exercises without injury.
  • whmscll
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Warming up with 10 mins on treadmill and then some stretches to loosen my hips in prep for squats. I am probably overdoing arms with stronglifts and bodyweight exercises. I am trying to challenge myself a bit, but obviously I overdid something involving my upper back muscles. I actually hope I can get back to it in a week or so, but I'm gonna wait until ALL the pain is gone. And trapezius strains are super painful, I've discovered.
  • sarahshinks2233
    sarahshinks2233 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I had the same problem when I started doing SL! I would strain my Achilles, then my shoulder, then hamstring... The thing that finally helped was doing yoga once a week, it helped me with form and flexibility+strength. Best of luck to you!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I get trapezius strains very easily, and not always exercise related. I used to be prescribed muscle relaxers because it would tighten up so badly. I e found I can still do certain exercises, but skip the ones that make the pain worse. Salon pas patches and ibuprofen help with the pain and tightness.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're actually getting muscle strains and you don't have some sort of other underlying problem? It seems very odd to continually strain things and I've personally never had a strain that showed up a day or two later. You know immediately when you strained something. I'm not a medical professional so I can't even garner a diagnosis but it seems fishy. I was thinking some sort of inflammatory disease like RA or something along those lines.

What's the longest you've been able to work out without straining something? If you've never made it very long, are you sure it's not just some sort of normal DOMS-type pain and tightness? DOMS shows up 1-2 days later and can be EXTREMELY painful and can take at least a week to clear sometimes.
  • whmscll
    Options
    Who knows? However, I do know that RA manifests on both sides of the body and usually begins in the hands and fingers. No, I'm pretty sure these are overuse injuries.
  • jaananuku358
    jaananuku358 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, how many calories are you eating? If you eat too little and you body doesn't get the nutrition it needs you'll be more prone to injuries. 1200 kcal are ok if you're not doing much, maybe some walks or aerobic but if you're asking more from your body you also need to look after it nutrition wise. I play a full contact sport and had to get help from a Nutritionist for this reason. It's a difficult balance trying to lose weight while also trying to exceed in a certain sport. (Look at Body builders for example. They will EITHER bulk or trim- not at the same time)
  • whmscll
    Options
    Eating 1290 and I eat back all my exercise calories