Different bathroom scales give different results?

Options
So I haven't been weighing myself other than at the doctors, since I go every month, ( I don't own a scale) and have a general idea that I'm around 135-138 pounds at 5"8. Well I'm staying at my families place and they happen to have two different scales. I weighed myself in the same thing on both scales one after the other and one said 137, the other said 145. Wow! I'm shocked that bathroom scales could be that off. If I purchase one for my home, how will I know that it's accurate? I know it doesn't really matter as long as you see the trend in the right direction but I assume most of us want the most accurate scale we can use

Replies

• RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Scales are usually accurate floors are not, make sure the surface the scale is on is flat. I have 12x24 tile in my master and depending where i place the scale good lord does the result change.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Take a known weight, like a barbell or weight lifting plate and weigh it. anything that you know the weight of will work.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Most of the time the accuracy difference is because of the floor. If there is carpet, loose or warped boards, or something stick to the bottom of the scale, it will weigh differently. If you buy one you can make sure that it is always placed in the same place every time and there isn't anything stuck to it. It won't matter much what your start weight is on that scale (as long as the placement is the same every time), you will see a difference when you weigh.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use an 8 pound barbell to test my scale before I weigh myself every month.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Your host may have adjusted the dial or whatever its called to recalibrate it for some other goal or purpose.