Carbs carbs CARBS... Confusion

Options
hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
So I'm really confused.

If I look at my diary.. or anyone else for that matter - there doesn't seem to be a lot of carbs there. Mainly from fruit. I guess I'm trying to cut out processed carbs like pasta, bread and rice... although I still find it hard to keep carbs low as they seem to be lurking in what I thought was 'healthy' fruit things...!

Hmmm I'm confused - are fruits 'bad' carbs, or even is there such a thing as 'good' carbs. I don't think my diary is that unhealthy/processed but wondering whether I should cut down on fruits for the sugar and carb content.

Carbs confuse me!

H :)

Replies

• picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    A diabetic has to be careful with fruits...but for most peeps fruit carb are fine. Esp if you stick to the berries. Melons are higher in sugar! I've been working on the carb thing for years....finally getting it down, but still have "those" days. Good luck!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, IMHO there are "good" carbs and "bad" carbs.

Sugar - bad carb - but sometimes comes with good carbs - like fruit.

Anything refined, processed - you got it - BAD. Stay away from enriched or bleached flour, white rice, white bread, etc...

Good carbs - WHOLE grains (100% whole wheat bread, brown rice, beans, veggies)

I do try to limit my fruit intake because as you've pointed out - fruit comes HIGH in sugar. Yes, fruit can be healthy but there are plenty of veggies out there that offer the same or similar nutrients that fruits do without the sugar.

Try to keep ALL sugar (fruit included) to 10% or less of your calories. To calculate: (your daily calories x 0.10) then divide this number by 4 = grams of sugar you can have in one day.

I find it helpful to track sugar in your diary. Take a look at mine if you need ideas. Cheers!

Edited to add that I like to get about 30-40% of my calories from carbohydrates - you DO need them for energy and too low of carbs can put stress on your kidneys and cause depression. Balance and moderation are best! :)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. By loking at your diary I would say maybe limit yourself on any fruit juice and the fruit yogurt (those typically have alot of carbs).

You're doing great though. keep up the good work!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yes, fruits are higher in carbs than veggies. I still eat fruits, but instead of a whole apple, orange, grapefruit, or pear, I just eat half of one for a fruit serving, and only 2-3 servings per day. I usually have berries with Greek yogurt in the evening, and I adjust the amount by where my carb count is for the day. I'm following Primal Blueprint and keeping carbs <100g/day. I customized my carb/fat/protein ratios so it gives me 75 g carbs at 1200 cals, which adjusts to around 100 g at my usual intake of 1500 cals (eating exercise calories).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs! :heart: I've never had a problem with taking off or keeping off while enjoying carbs. I just keep them within my calorie limits. But I make sure that I'm eating whole grains, avoiding processed foods and refined sugars whenever I can. Nobody is gonna come between me and my pasta! :drinker:
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Also another question with the net calories thing... if my limit is set at 1200, and I burn say 500 in exercise - should I aim for 1200 NET calories to be consumed at the end of the day?!

Confused.com
  • nawlinsned
    nawlinsned Posts: 15
    Options
    Yep. If you don't give your body enough raw material to work with to rebuild after a workout, it'll get what it needs out of your fat, muscle, and bones.
  • catalame
    catalame Posts: 40
    Options
    Carbs are your body's basic energy food. Put into layman's terms, carbs go in and energy comes out. Try and make sure most of your carbs come from low GI foods and avoid fats. Essentially, if you overeat by 300 cals, if it's carbs you'll store about 260 of those cals. Fats, you'll store 300.

Thats kind of a really really basic way of looking at it, but there you go. It'll do.