how often should I weigh myself

Options
I dieted before and I am a scale junky,, I weighed everyday, I know that's bad so should I take the scale out of the house..any suggestions??

Replies

• goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Most people would say once a week, at the same time each week. Many would say even longer, or not at all as weight isn't important (must be nice to live in a world where weight isn't important!).

Personally, I weigh myself every day, and record losses only when I deviate outside a 2kg maintenance range. Eg, for months, I've been going between 97 and 99 kg, but over the last two days, I've dropped to 96 and then 95.5, so recorded them both.

If you do weigh yourself daily, do not be surprised or bothered by some large daily swings - they're normal. Sounds to me like you _were_ bothered by these large daily swings, so maybe once every 1 or 2 weeks?
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Lots of people seem to do it weekly and that works for them, but I weigh myself every morning as I'd find it really upsetting if I went a whole week and found I'd lost nothing or gained a little... at least weighing myself every day prepares me for the overall weekly loss (or maintenance).

Good luck!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, and good luck :-)
  • Palook
    Palook Posts: 8
    Options
    I usually weigh myself every other day, always in the morning. I can't go a whole week without checking the scale! Besides, weighing more often can help you discover what your usual fluctuations are!
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    I weight myself only once a week. I would much rather focus on eating well and losing inches.
  • papillon0128
    papillon0128 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As a female with monthly hormonal fluctuations and the routine water weight gain and loss that goes along with it I only weight once a week. More often than that is usually discouraging to me.
  • luv2runsgf
    luv2runsgf Posts: 48
    Options
    In studies where they follow large groups of people who have lost and kept weight off for a long time most people weigh themselves daily. I do the same with a scale that shows 1/10th of a lb increments. I need the immediate feedback.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but I only actually count my friday weigh-ins. I think weighing every day just keeps me more accountable. I used to weigh myself like 10 times a day, but I've gotten it down to once a day.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    I weigh every day to keep an eye on things, but I only record my weight weekly.
  • sissymac50
    Options
    I've been terrible so far for weighing myself everytime I set foot in the bathroom! I either get vary excited (wahoo I've lost 1/2 a lb in 25 minutes) or get really annoyed with myself ( arrrggghhh 1/4 lb gained since this morning) I've started keeping the scales in the car, then only bringing them in on Sunday morning, which is my 'official' weigh day :)
  • elfranzen
    elfranzen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and some times a few times a day but I know the scale with change and that doesn't bother me. but I think it is interesting to see how the scale moves before and after a workout or even before and after a meal. its also neat to see the scale jump up and down by 5 pounds and than figure out why that happened. it helps me understand what is going on with my body and scale and then when people at work ask how they could go up 4 pounds in one day I can explain to them why that happened to me. usually its because of the carbs the day before. also if you are going to have a cheat day make sure it is the day after you weigh yourself if you are going to weigh in every week.
  • Sharon1829
    Sharon1829 Posts: 12
    Options
    I weigh myself and take measurements every 2 day. Usually on a Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. I hoping to eventually weigh myself less, but I just started and I'm all about gratification.