Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sweating

Some workouts I sweat and some are more intense does this really make a difference. I'm drinking enough water everyday to make the sweat.... do I necessarily have to sweat to lose weight? Do I lose more weight when I sweat?

Replies

• missdelainie
    missdelainie Posts: 75 Member
    Sorry I meant to say some workouts I sweat which are the most intense but some I don't sweat and are not as intense
  • missdelainie
    missdelainie Posts: 75 Member
    So usually when I do hiit workouts I sweat, doing s hiit workout increase weight loss?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    So usually when I do hiit workouts I sweat, doing s hiit workout increase weight loss?

Doing any workout burns calories. Some more than others. You lose weight by calorie deficit (eating less than you burn), so workouts can help you lose weight by helping to create the calorie deficit. There's nothing special about HIIT workouts that "increase" weight loss any more than any other workout. And what most people call HIIT isn't really HIIT anyway.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Haha I did my pull routine today and I barely broke a sweat, even after lifting higher weight than last time. And the last time I did my pull routine I was sweating buckets lol. Might have to do with humidity.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
    do I necessarily have to sweat to lose weight? Do I lose more weight when I sweat?

No to both questions.

Sweating is just something your body does to cool itself. In the summer in Manitoba, I could simply walk outside and stand there, and dissolve into a pool of sweat. But I wasn't burning calories ... it was just that hot and humid. Meanwhile, I can go for a brisk walk on a cool day and barely crack a sweat at all, and yet I am burning calories.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Sweat can indicate calorie burn but it is a poor indicator because there are so many factors involved. A much better indicator is how much air you breathe in and out.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I barely sweat when lifting...sweat like crazy when doing any type of cardio. The lifting has been much better for body composition. Sweating isn't much of an indicator of anything other than being hot IMO.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    edited May 2017
    You have to look at your Heart Rate. Normal Heart Rate when you seating and doing normal things should be 60/70-100 heart beats per minute. I add attached a chart that might be helpful calculating your heart rate doing exercise. I also include instruction on how to take your pulse. I wish you the best!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    You have to look at your Heart Rate. Normal Heart Rate when you seating and doing normal things should be 60/70-100 heart beats per minute. I add attached a chart that might be helpful calculating your heart rate doing exercise. I also include instruction on how to take your pulse. I wish you the best!

What? "Normal" for who? As a long distance runner, my resting HR is around 52. What does the mean? Not much (in this context).

If I run 5k in 30 minutes or run 5k in 20 minutes, I will burn the same calories. My HR on the other hand will be drastically different.

HR, sweat, breath, and perceived effort are all horrible ways to calculate calorie burn.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    The chart is pretty much useless, since individuals vary so much from the standard of 220-age. At age 60 my maximum is at least 185, not the 160 that the charts would give me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    To the OP, heat and humidity can make you sweat more, without you actually exerting more. And yes, if you do exert more, assuming the same length of effort, you will burn more calories. i.e. if I run 6 mph rather than 4 mph, I will burn more, if I run for an hour. When you do HIIT, it matters what your average effort is, not what you are doing for short segments.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

What? "Normal" for who? As a long distance runner, my resting HR is around 52. What does the mean? Not much (in this context).

If I run 5k in 30 minutes or run 5k in 20 minutes, I will burn the same calories. My HR on the other hand will be drastically different.

HR, sweat, breath, and perceived effort are all horrible ways to calculate calorie burn.

What ever you normal is for you? Most people it is within that range. Then you should found your heart during your running and see what is yours. When I don't exercise my HR is 83 and that is my normal.While I exercise is between 165-174 yours could be different.
  • dewd2
    That's good information but what does it have to do with calories? FWIW, I know exactly what my min and max is as well as my VO2max and my lactate threshold. Great for training, useless for counting calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
    What ever you normal is for you? Most people it is within that range. Then you should found your heart during your running and see what is yours. When I don't exercise my HR is 83 and that is my normal.While I exercise is between 165-174 yours could be different.

That seems really high. Have you been to a Dr to get that checked?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member

Actually you'd burn more calories in the 20 minutes because the intensity would be higher.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dewd2
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Actually you'd burn more calories in the 20 minutes because the intensity would be higher.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

By how much? Significant difference?