Up calories to drop weigh?

Options
I have been keeping pretty active since getting this app! My partner also got me a Fitbit so that has helped so much. I have full support at home and my partner makes my meals to follow more a paleo/clean diet mix. I have recently added running 2.5 miles 3-5 days a week, 2x a week 30 min of CXWorx at Golds, and 2 hours of water aerobics on top of meeting my steps.

Here is my concern. Am I eating too FEW calories to lose weight? It took my body a few years to adjust to eating healthy again as I went through a period of barely eating and over exercising. I refuse to do that to myself again as I was at an unhealthy weight (108 at 5'6"). I also remind myself that I'm turning 37 in July and don't want to ruin my metabolism for my 40's, 50's, etc.

Has anyone added calories and found themselves losing the last 15 pounds? If so how, what? Help!

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
    What number of calories are you burning??
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you currently eating? Are you confident your logging is accurate?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How much have do you weigh? You provided absolutely no useful info.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You won't lose 15 lbs by adding calories. What did help me lose the last 4-5 lbs was intermittent fasting (I just didn't eat breakfast) but it was only because it helped me meet my calorie goals.
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping pretty active since getting this app! My partner also got me a Fitbit so that has helped so much. I have full support at home and my partner makes my meals to follow more a paleo/clean diet mix. I have recently added running 2.5 miles 3-5 days a week, 2x a week 30 min of CXWorx at Golds, and 2 hours of water aerobics on top of meeting my steps.

Here is my concern. Am I eating too FEW calories to lose weight? It took my body a few years to adjust to eating healthy again as I went through a period of barely eating and over exercising. I refuse to do that to myself again as I was at an unhealthy weight (108 at 5'6"). I also remind myself that I'm turning 37 in July and don't want to ruin my metabolism for my 40's, 50's, etc.

Has anyone added calories and found themselves losing the last 15 pounds? If so how, what? Help!

There are some articles on the web about this. Doesn't appear to be backed by any real science, but it's called metabolic adaptation or reverse dieting.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You need to fill your body correct. Of you've upped your activity you need to up your calories.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Sure, start eating more and see if you start losing more.
    That's what usually happens when one starts eating more, right?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only way to up calories and drop weight is if you increase your exercise by an even greater amount.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If upping calories makes a deficit more sustainable it can lead to more weight loss. Fewer binges due to over restriction will do that. In addition, eating more after a period of over restriction can help shed water weight.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Eat more, do more, recover more, lise more
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If upping calories makes a deficit more sustainable it can lead to more weight loss. Fewer binges due to over restriction will do that.

In addition, eating more after a period of over restriction can help shed water weight.

Thanks, you beat me to it.