Would it be OK, if maybe, We could have different ideas of w

Options
And I don't just mean different from magazines, I mean different, From Each other!

Some of us might like a dancer's build, or a runners build, or a fitness competition build, or even (gasp!) a runways models build. Why is that soooo wrong? What's attractive to you isn't attractive to everyone else.

And just because you don't find it attractive, that doesn't mean that that group doesn't work hard to look the way they do.

Why do we have to throw around "skinny-fat" like we're junior high girls? You don't get fit just from lighting weights, or just from cardio. And just because a woman is thin, that doesn't mean that she doesn't work out. Maybe her goal is to look like she's just naturally that way?

You know: effortless? That concept that's so cool when other people look it, but the rest of us think we look sloppy when we try. Yeah, that's just self consciousness, its bad enough as it is, do we have to tear down everyone else to make ourselves feel better? No...

OK, I'm don't ranting.

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Edit: I've decided I don't want to be part of another thread that turns controversial.
  • greensnow
    greensnow Posts: 73
    Options
    Sorry this has nothing to do with the topic but ivyjbres I love your ticker lol!
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like it too.
  • charmednz
    charmednz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For many of us it isnt about skinny/ fat etc it is about being healthy, and healthy is have an acceptable BMI and level of fitness....being healthy and confident is attractive
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    And I don't just mean different from magazines, I mean different, From Each other!

Some of us might like a dancer's build, or a runners build, or a fitness competition build, or even (gasp!) a runways models build. Why is that soooo wrong? What's attractive to you isn't attractive to everyone else.

And just because you don't find it attractive, that doesn't mean that that group doesn't work hard to look the way they do.

Why do we have to throw around "skinny-fat" like we're junior high girls? You don't get fit just from lighting weights, or just from cardio. And just because a woman is thin, that doesn't mean that she doesn't work out. Maybe her goal is to look like she's just naturally that way?

You know: effortless? That concept that's so cool when other people look it, but the rest of us think we look sloppy when we try. Yeah, that's just self consciousness, its bad enough as it is, do we have to tear down everyone else to make ourselves feel better? No...

OK, I'm don't ranting.

I totally agree. In my thread about how its not a definite "should" that all women should lift weights, and i got comments about how women who lift, look fantastic, and they can tell from my photos that i dont lift weights, which i thought was slightly unnecessary, and im glad im not feeling bad about the way i look to take that the wrong way.
    people who do different sports, tend to get specific physiques, and there is no right or wrong, and its not necessary to always fit in other forms of exercise purely to stop you looking like you do your favourite exercise. Its also perfectly ok to want to just be skinny, or to want to look like you weight train, or want to look like a runner, or a rugby player or for your goal to still be in the overweight region even, if thats what makes you happy.
    I hate seeing people project their own goals onto other people. Its nice to support people to reach their goals and to celebrate peoples victories and acheivements with them, but sometimes insisting people follow YOUR goals when your advice hasnt been asked for, is counterproductive.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I completely agree too.

Apart from the bit about never wanting to be involved in another controversial debate, because I rather like arguing.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

Apart from the bit about never wanting to be involved in another controversial debate, because I rather like arguing.

:wink: :laugh:
  • mamaboobear
    Options
    Its the problem with today's society, we have totally trained girls to never feel good enough no matter what....