Detox!

Options
fosterks
fosterks Posts: 93 Member
Bit of help please.....

After a month of not really being careful about food (still exercising) I am starting a six week detox on Monday.

What are basic detox rules? Nothing fancy because I know me, and I won't do it, but some basic stuff I can do to clear out my system and make myself feel better.

Help much appreciated!

Replies

• Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    just drink lots of water, eat only whole foods. bam. eat clean.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    There are so many types of detoxes out there so the rules may be different for each. I've been trying to do a detox once a week and here are the rules that I use from my bootcamp trainer:

Detox Rules
    1. Eat only the cleansing foods on the lists. If you like, arrange these foods into three meals a day,
    plus snacks. (See Sample Menus)
    2. Eat as many vegetables as you like, but limit fruits to three servings per day.
    3. Do not add any fats: oils, butter or margarine.
    4. Keep it simple. You may use spices and herbs. Small amounts of low sodium soy sauce, salt,
    pepper, vinegar and mustard are allowed, but avoid mayonnaise.
    5. Drink at least 8- 8oz. glasses of water. Herbal teas, distilled or filtered water or mineral water are
    extra and will assist in the flushing of impurities.
    6. NO coffee, alcohol, soda, sugar, artificial sweeteners, and caffeine-containing beverages. These
    are substances we want to purify from your body.
    7. NO JUNK food – remember, this is a cleansing, detoxification diet, and avoiding these now will
    help you get unaccustomed to the taste of sweet or fat.
    8. If you have been taking a multivitamin/mineral formula, continue to do so, but do not start to take
    supplements during this detoxification step if your body is not accustomed to them.
    9. Get plenty of rest and sleep because this helps with the detoxification process. The naturally
    accruing plant compounds in the fruits and vegetable will help accelerate the cleansing process.
    You may feel a little more tired than usual the first few days. By the end of the week, you should
    feel energized.
    Note: Some other symptoms may be headaches, fatigue, irritability and nausea. This can be apart
    of the withdrawal of JUNKY foods.
    10. Do not engage in strenuous physical activity, even if you are used to it. Instead of a vigorous
    workout, take more yoga and gentle stretching. This is also a great time to meditate, listen to
    relaxing music, and engage in other stress-reduction activities.
    11. Your first action every morning: Cut a lemon in half or a Lrg. slice and squeeze the juice into warm
    water, then drink. Lemons are naturally diuretic and have antioxidants. They are also very soothing
    and will help with your cravings.
    Note: If you are heating your water with the microwave, heat your water first and then squeeze
    your lemon into the water.
    12. Think about the commitment you are making to yourself, what you stand to gain, and how
    accomplished you will feel. Look at this as cleansing out the old and getting ready for the new.

Here are the list of fruits & veggies I use:

Fruit & Veggies Used During Detox

Vegetables
    Alfalfa Sprouts
    Jimcama
    Artichokes
    Kale
    Arugula
    Leeks
    Asparagus
    Lettuce (all types)
    Bean Sprouts
    Mushrooms
    Beets
    Okra
    Bell Peppers
    Olives
    Bok Choy
    Onions
    Broccoli
    Parsley
    Brussels sprouts
    Radishes
    Cabbage (red or white)
    Sauerkraut (no sugar added)
    Carrots
    Snow Peas
    Cauliflower S
    pinach
    Celery
    Tomato Juice (1/3 cup), no salt
    Chard
    Tomato Paste (2 tablespoons)
    Collard Greens
    Tomato Sauce (1/2 cup)
    Tomato
    Cucumber
    Watercress
    Eggplant
    Green Beans
    Yellow Squash
    Hot Peppers
    Zucchini
    Water Chestnuts

Fruits (limit to 3 servings a day)
    Apple 1 medium (if you feel overwhelmed with cravings, eat extra apples)
    Apples, Dried 4 Rings
    Apple Cider 1/2 cup
    Applesauce (no sugar added) 1/2 cup
    Apricots, Dried 7 halves
    Banana 1/2 or 1 small
    Blackberries 3/4 cup
    Boysenberries 3/4 cup
    Cantaloupe 1/4 section
    Cherries 12 large
    Cherries, Canned (no sugar added) 1/2 cup
    Cranberry Juice (no sugar added) 1/2 cup
    Currants 3 tablespoons
    Dates, Fresh 2
    Figs, Fresh 2
    Figs, Dried 2
    Fresh Fruit Cup 1/2 cup
    Grapefruit 1/2 section
    Grapefruit Juice (no sugar added) 1/2 cup
    Grape Juice (no sugar added) 1/3 cup
    Grapes 1/2 cup
    Guava 1 small
    Honeydew melon 1/16 medium
    Kiwi Fruit 1 large
    Kumquats 4 medium
    Lemon 1 large
    Lychees 7
    Mandarin Orange 3/4 cup
    Mango 1/2 small
    Nectarine 1 medium
    Nectars 1/3 cup
    Strawberries 1 cup
    Orange 1 medium
    Orange Juice (no sugar added) 1/2 cup
    Papaya 1/2 medium

By the way, if you are really planning to do this for six weeks, you are going to have to incorporate some other things to make sure you are getting all the proper nutrients (e.g. chicken, fish, etc). I only do this once a week and my trainer recommended 2-3 times a week but that was too much for me. Also, it says at least 8oz of water a day but you will need A LOT more than that. When I detox, I try to get about 16 in a day.

Hope that helps and good luck!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Bit of help please.....

After a month of not really being careful about food (still exercising) I am starting a six week detox on Monday.

What are basic detox rules? Nothing fancy because I know me, and I won't do it, but some basic stuff I can do to clear out my system and make myself feel better.

Help much appreciated!

If you don't have a specific one planned, what made you decide on a 6 week detox?
  • lavaflow99
    lavaflow99 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    lots of fruits and veggies
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Let me know what detox you are doing.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm on my last week of a 3 week detox. It's the Standard Process purification process. Fiber supplements with as many organic veggies as I want, preferably raw. No allergenic foods, like nuts, grains, soy, legumes (other than a small amount of lentils and chickpeas), dairy or eggs. It's a bit difficult, but I have noticed a difference.

I was able to add oils, but only high quality ones like cold pressed olive oil and flax seed oil.

Lots of water for sure.

After 11 days I was able to add in organic lean protein like chicken breast and wild salmon.

Lots of rules and they're all different.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    My favorite is simply eating LOTS of fruits and veggies (about 80 percent of my diet) and then lean meat for the other 20% it only takes about a week or two at the most to re regulate my body after a few weeks of bad eating...

Six weeks seems excessive to me. But hey! more power to ya!
  • trvsgrl02
    trvsgrl02 Posts: 2
    Options
    Green tea is a great detoxifier. Drink a cup( freshly brewed, not store-bought) with a teaspoon of honey before you eat ANYTHING. Also drink a glass of water after the tea before eating. Not only will it help you feel full, but detoxifies you as well by flushing all the toxins. I did this the first time i had a lot of weight to lose, and i lost 35 lbs in 3 months :)
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    bump for later.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You may consider doing the Paleo challenge for 45 days. It's great for getting the body back to basics and clean. The basic idea is eating vegetables, fruit, nuts, and lean meat. No eating starches, grains, dairy or processed sugars.

Good luck in your journey.
  • Amykimber
    Amykimber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fantastic plan to eat uber-healthily for a bit, it'll do your body good. Water, fresh fruit, leafy green veg (yummy iron)

But please, be careful about the detox word :-)

Read this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article5517912.ece

No - read it - go on, I'll wait - shoo. It's well written, entertaining and not that long. You'll feel smug after you have :D

Amy - total cynic ;-) x