high carb, high protein, still lose at least 2 lbs a week

Options
I love my pasta so it turns out, I eat a lot of carbs and protein but I average about 1,200 calories a da I've seen a lot of people post about being on low carb diets and I'm wondering is it to eat more healthier?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Your macro breakdown is personal preference - if you like eating carbs, eat carbs. Make sure you get minimums for protien and fat though, your body needs certain amounts of these to function properly.
    "healthy" is subjective. You can eat low carb and have an unhealthy diet, just like you can eat lots of carbs and eat an unhealthy diet. (and vice versa for both)
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Your macro breakdown is personal preference - if you like eating carbs, eat carbs. Make sure you get minimums for protien and fat though, your body needs certain amounts of these to function properly.
    "healthy" is subjective. You can eat low carb and have an unhealthy diet, just like you can eat lots of carbs and eat an unhealthy diet. (and vice versa for both)

I was going to say this as well, just make sure youre getting your minimum for fats, from healthy fats (nuts, olive oil, avacado, fish).
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    People mostly eat lower carb because eating carbs that metabolize quickly, like sugar and white flour, can cause your blood sugar to crash and make you more hungry, grumpy, or irritable. They also tend to be less satisfying then protein/fat and can trigger overeating. I don't think anyone should cut carbs out completely, but it's best to eat low GI foods AKA foods that metabolize more slowly. Think whole grains, lean meats, healthy fats, veggies, low sugar fruits like berries. These will keep you satiated for longer periods of time and give you energy throughout the day. You don't have to cut out white bread or sweets completely either...but they should be reserved as a treat every once in awhile.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    OP different people are satiated by different types of foods. I find carbs fill me up, a meal just doesn't stick with me if it doesn't have pasta, rice, bread, potatoes or some other grain. I don't have a medical condition, no blood sugar issues, nothing.

I find I do best on pretty moderate macros: 100g protein, 50g fat, and the rest carbs so usually @ 175-200g carbs. Other people find they need more fat or protein than that to feel full. You just have to find the right way of eating for you - the one you enjoy, that fills you up, and that keeps you at the right calorie level. If you've already found that, stick with it :)

ETA: carbs don't make everyone hungry. And if you don't have a med condition there is no reason to worry about high GI foods. Besides if you eat high glycemic carbs in a meal that includes some protein or fat in it, they blunt the effect.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP different people are satiated by different types of foods. I find carbs fill me up, a meal just doesn't stick with me if it doesn't have pasta, rice, bread, potatoes or some other grain. I don't have a medical condition, no blood sugar issues, nothing.

This. Part of it is preference too -- I like pasta, but don't really like most bread, cereal, enjoy potatoes and sweet potatoes but adding them to a meal doesn't make it feel more or less filling. When I'm at maintenance I like moderate carbs, but lately when I've been having trouble keeping a deficit I've found it a lot easier with lower carbs, and I am quite satisfied with just meat and veg, no starchy side. I usually like the stuff I'd put in a sandwich more than a sandwich (there are rare exceptions). If saving calories, I'd rather have some cheese or an avocado on a burger than the bun. This is recently, anyway, the preferences thing change around for me some.

Protein is the main thing that affects hunger for me, though -- fat vs. carbs is less important.

OP, if it's working for you, fabulous. Don't worry about the fact that different things work for others. Carbs aren't bad at all, including starchy carbs like grains and potatoes.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Everyone made great points! I have to balance out also, too many carbs without a protein and fat in the mix makes me a hungry, shaky wreck,however only protein doesn't keep me full either
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who enjoys carbs with a meal, and find that they stick with me. A higher carb breakfast sticks with longer than anything else, for instance, and the carbs help with keeping up my energy levels. It's a personal preference for everyone, though. Some people find a low carb, high fat diet extremely filling.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I do 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fat. It works for me so far. Research Marco if you want more info
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) 1200 calories
    2) high anything

Pick one.
  • silvervega
    silvervega Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love my pasta so it turns out, I eat a lot of carbs and protein but I average about 1,200 calories a da I've seen a lot of people post about being on low carb diets and I'm wondering is it to eat more healthier?

My body leans more to Endomorphic type body so for me a low carb diet works better (I'm carb sensitive).
    I eat unrefined carbs. I have been cycling my carbs: 3 days low, and one day high. So far i have a steady weight loss of 2+ lbs a week.
    In my humble opinion If you love your pasta, and you are managing your weight the way you want. Stick with what you love eating. If you worry about eating healthy you can just add whole foods, and dark green leafy vegetables if you are not already doing it. Cheers