Weighing food

Options
quatiecelebs
quatiecelebs Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So, I recently bought a scale. Now I'm not sure if you should weigh your food before or after cooking.
For example, oats and quinoa weigh differently before and after cooking with water

Can somebody clear this up for me?

Replies

• aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I weigh before, especially with ingredients like oats
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The nutrition information on foods is raw, unless it specifically says "as prepared" or something like that.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The packaging usually gives the nutrition information for the food raw unless it specifies otherwise. But there are entries in the database for both raw and cooked. I prefer to weigh raw because I find it easier, but you can weigh it either way as long as you use an accurate entry in the database that matches.
  • yasho13
    yasho13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    heyy hii

You have to weigh all your foods uncooked. Eg: chicken 4oz before cooking has 30gms protein and after cooking if you weigh the chicken then it will be around 3oz but same nutrient- 30gms protein.
    So Please weigh your foods uncooked.

Regards,
    Yashovardhan Singh
    Intern at Getsetgo.fitness
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I weight meats, veggies, oats, fish before eating. Polenta, rice, quinoa, farro, and grains after cooked. If a making a recipe, I weight before cooking.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    raw unless the package states otherwise
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    if i'm cooking for just myself i weigh raw and log raw. if i'm cooking for more than just me i weigh cooked and log cooked. trying to seclude my little chicken thigh on the grill and keep track of the bugger just isn't worth it for me.