Loss of energy - can't be bothered - need to up calories??

Options
I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that I'm feeling a bit tired and just can't-be-bothered sort of thing. My cycling is slowing down (my average journey to work is now about 1 minute over what it has been) and I just generally feel a bit bleurgh.
I'm wondering if I should increase my calories? I'm 5ft 6, 38, and 137lbs.

Currently my "normal" daily goal is set to 1450.

I do a rough 3-mile run on Mon, Weds and Fri and sometimes Sat or Sun. I cycle to work every day (2 miles in the morning and anywhere up to 5 miles at night depending on what mood I'm in). I have also just joined a running club and so run on a Tuesday evening - this can be around 4.5 - 6 miles. And then I horse-ride for an hour every Friday.

I DO eat the majority of my exercise calories back - although looking at my diary for yesterday my "goal" should have been 2050 and I only netted 1618. Whoops.

I've been doing the above exercise routine since about May so it's not that I've suddenly ramped everything up.

Any thoughts?

Thx :smile:

Replies

• Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would say take a week out and get some rest and start again see how that works as the body needs rest from time to time, I found this and now take an easy week with just riding to and from work every 8th. This works well for me and seems to help with the fatigue you are discribing.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I know how you must feel - like you are cheating yourself or being a quitter if you miss a workout. But whne you get so fatigued and listless, the best thing to do is swallow your pride & take a break! I did this the other day & bounced back with more vigor and strength the next time I worked out. Good luck!
  • bymelya1
    bymelya1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I was not eating enough calories and I was feeling the same way. I now try to eat my exercise cal at least to net my calorie goal. Also I started taking a daily multi vitamin and is working for me.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You're getting close to your goal. You might want to consider changing your goal to lose 1/2lb a week which will be more sustainable, give you more energy and prepare you for maintenance. And yes, eat at least most of your exercise calories!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I would say take a week out and get some rest and start again see how that works as the body needs rest from time to time, I found this and now take an easy week with just riding to and from work every 8th. This works well for me and seems to help with the fatigue you are discribing.

^^^ I think this is the way to go.
  • jrwulf
    jrwulf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm no nutritionalist but yes, your calories seam low for your activities. I was, however, advised by a trusted nutritionalist to up my vitamin A and D intake. (milk) as I have a similar problem. let me know how it works out for you.
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    i had the same thing as you & felt really awfull ,,my suggestion is to up the cals ,,try & eat something healthy but small every few hours ,,then your main meals ,,take a rest day ,,very important ,,make sure your water intake stays up & start on protein shakes each day ,,this is the things that got me going again ,, i was feeling dizzy ,shakie ,,weak & loss of energy ,,this regime ive been on for a couple of weeks & i feel great ,,,,please get some whey protein ,,its fantastic stuff ,,good luck
  • sqvash
    sqvash Posts: 17
    Options
    Taking a few days off may be the trick. However, check into some of your dietary balances. Lack of energy can be related to vitamin B deficiencies. Do you take a B complex? (B vitamins are naturally found in soil, so in a primitive setting we would get our needs from vegetables. The chemical treatments and cleaning processes we use on vegetables removes all the traces of soil, so it's very difficult to get B vitamins from just your diet).

Also, do you get enough protein to replenish your muscles from all the running, biking, etc. and do you get enough carbohydrates for daily energy? Both are important :)

If it's an ongoing problem I would almost consider printing out a week's worth of MFP diaries and going to a nutritionist for advice. I'm a scientist but definitely not a doctor, lol!

Good luck! Hopefully it's just a little slump and you just need a good solid nap haha
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    depends on your goal. You are well into the healthy range, assuming you're eating the RIGHT nutrient levels, your deficit should be pretty small at this point, I'd say 1400 plus is too low. I'd shoot for 1/2 lb per week max. At this point your goal should probably be body fat % reduction only IMHO.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Complex Carbs
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    How's your water intake? It's hotter outside now, unless you're one of the south of the equator folks ;-), and even a small amount of dehydration can decrease overall energy and performance.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies peeps :smile:

SHBoss - I already re-set my goal about 8 weeks ago to 1/2lb loss a week. At the moment I am going up and down between 9st 9lbs and 9st 13lbs (i work better in stones than pounds!). I am at the point where I don't want to lose any more weight, but I do want to shift the layer of fat that sits on my legs and stomach - oh and arms. My abs are there, they're just camoflauged LOL. I will try upping the calories and see what happens. I think I also need to add in a bit of strength training as well to do the body-fat thing as at the moment most of my exercise is cardio-based. (I know I keep saying that and then I just don't get round to it...!)

The idea of a week of resting sounds good and I am seriously considering it and hoping it will give me a fresh start!

Re the water intake, I drink well over the recommended 8 glasses a day - plus which I'm in the UK so our weather isn't particularly hot LOL.

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice lovely MFP-ers :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies peeps :smile:

SHBoss - I already re-set my goal about 8 weeks ago to 1/2lb loss a week. At the moment I am going up and down between 9st 9lbs and 9st 13lbs (i work better in stones than pounds!). I am at the point where I don't want to lose any more weight, but I do want to shift the layer of fat that sits on my legs and stomach - oh and arms. My abs are there, they're just camoflauged LOL. I will try upping the calories and see what happens. I think I also need to add in a bit of strength training as well to do the body-fat thing as at the moment most of my exercise is cardio-based. (I know I keep saying that and then I just don't get round to it...!)

The idea of a week of resting sounds good and I am seriously considering it and hoping it will give me a fresh start!

Re the water intake, I drink well over the recommended 8 glasses a day - plus which I'm in the UK so our weather isn't particularly hot LOL.

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice lovely MFP-ers :smile:

where's your protein at?
  • Lanfear
    Options
    Food diary says:

Daily goal 1450 cals
    Carbs: 199
    Fat: 48
    Protein: 54
    Sat fat: 16
    Sodium: 2,500

Obviously these go up when I add exercise calories?

Having looked at my diary for a few days I vary on whether I'm under the 54 or over.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Food diary says:

Daily goal 1450 cals

Having looked at my diary for a few days I vary on whether I'm under the 54 or over.

personally, I don't like to see clients who are relatively active using the minimum protein requirements, you're at 15% protein, which is awefully low, and you're at 55% carbs, that means a lot of your energy is going to be in that 1 to 4 hour window of digestion for carbs (even complex carbs), protein can take up to 3 times that long to digest, giving you slower use, but longer lasting energy over the long run. Plus protein does require slightly more calories to digest and creates a sparring effect for existing muscle mass (the body won't canabalize muscle mass if it has readily available amino acids derived from dietary protein). This probably isn't a 100% solution to your issue, but it's a good place to start, I'd raise your protein level about 5 or even 10% and lower your carbs by the same amount (5 to 10%) to compensate. That would be my recommendation. Give that a few weeks and see how you do.
  • Lanfear
    Options
    Food diary says:

Daily goal 1450 cals

personally, I don't like to see clients who are relatively active using the minimum protein requirements, you're at 15% protein, which is awefully low, and you're at 55% carbs, that means a lot of your energy is going to be in that 1 to 4 hour window of digestion for carbs (even complex carbs), protein can take up to 3 times that long to digest, giving you slower use, but longer lasting energy over the long run. Plus protein does require slightly more calories to digest and creates a sparring effect for existing muscle mass (the body won't canabalize muscle mass if it has readily available amino acids derived from dietary protein). This probably isn't a 100% solution to your issue, but it's a good place to start, I'd raise your protein level about 5 or even 10% and lower your carbs by the same amount (5 to 10%) to compensate. That would be my recommendation. Give that a few weeks and see how you do.

That's great, thank you for the advice - I will give that a try. :smile:
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly as you describe if I am eating too little (or eating the wrong stuff!)
  • Lanfear
    Options
    I feel exactly as you describe if I am eating too little (or eating the wrong stuff!)

LOL I know where the "wrong stuff" bit is but I just can't quit crisps!!!!! :laugh: