Dropping Sizes?

Options
I have grown slighlty frustrated and I'm not sure if I just need to vent or genuinely need support but here goes. Last May when I was 246 I wore a size 20 from some stores and an 18 from the always stretchy Old Navy, now 35lbs later I am still not able to get an anything but the 18s. So either I was wearing my pants WAY to tight or I'm only melting pounds from above the waist. My wide hips and huge a** are holding stedfast to their grand sizes.

Replies

• lilcrittert
    lilcrittert Posts: 105
    Options
    You gotta remember that "women sizes" aka "plus sizes" are cut much larger than normal sizing. Don't let it discourage you. It's another marketing strategy to sell clothing.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i kind of feel the same way, but just give it time. 42pounds later and I'm down to a 22 from a 24. but it is a loose 22might i add{haha} but great work on your accomplishment thus far :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I too started at 246 in March of this year. I was SQUEEZING into a size 18, but was in denial and should have been wearing a 20, 30 pounds later I was "comfortably' in an 18 and thought ugh really??? Happily as my journey has gone on the, the size droppings have been a little faster. I've gone from an 18/20 to a 10/12....The 10 is from Land's End misses clothing. Since every store varies SO much, I wouldn't get discouraged. Just keep doing what your doing, and you will see results! :)
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey I have complete sympathy with you Im like you only the other way round I have a 'mantlepiece' that would sit very nicely in a stately home. MY shoulders and arms are the palatial scrolls that run down either side. I know Im losing weight Ive dropped 2 sizes in my bottom half but my chest stubbornly refuses to give any of its ampleness up so Im buying bottoms from one department then I have to hoike it up the stairs to the other department for specialty tops and bras (which cost like a mansion might I add). Im figuring that at some stage my stubborn bosom just has to give out. A friend has suggested that I visit a naturopath she went to who put her on a blood type diet where the weight came of her very stubborn refuse to budge derrière. She has always had an ample bottom and has noticeably lost weight all over. Put a direct questions into the forum there are loads of people on here with the same problem who have tried lots of things I think MFP is better than an internet search sometimes. Good Luck!
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have wide hips too and have the same problem... I am about 20lbs less than I was at my heaviest, but have barely dropped anything off my legs and bum, it's all come off my stomach. I buy the same size trousers as I did when I was 20lbs heavier, but I guess they are looser on me now, and I could just about squeeze into the next size down but it wouldn't be comfortable.

Maybe I was squeezing into a UK 18 before because I really didn't want to go up to a 20, but now the 18 is comfortable, even a little loose. You mentioned that you had a 20 from some stores before but now you have 18s, so you may have lost a little bit? Is the 20 too big now or is it still exactly the same?
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    47lb down and I have only gone down from UK 18/20 to a UK 14/16. I was watching a TV show about womens clothes sizes in shops and they reckon its because of the age range and whether they are high street or designer. A women in her early 20s can be a size 14 but be a lot slimmer than someone in there mid 40s who is a size 14, so some clothes are cut with them in mind. Where as they said designer don't want certain size people wearing their designs so they tend to cut them really small for the size.

Don't give up! Just try clothes on when you go shopping and see how they look not what size they are.
  • carina_75
    carina_75 Posts: 88
    Options
    Hey I have complete sympathy with you Im like you only the other way round I have a 'mantlepiece' that would sit very nicely in a stately home. MY shoulders and arms are the palatial scrolls that run down either side. I know Im losing weight Ive dropped 2 sizes in my bottom half but my chest stubbornly refuses to give any of its ampleness up so Im buying bottoms from one department then I have to hoike it up the stairs to the other department for specialty tops and bras (which cost like a mansion might I add). Im figuring that at some stage my stubborn bosom just has to give out. A friend has suggested that I visit a naturopath she went to who put her on a blood type diet where the weight came of her very stubborn refuse to budge derrière. She has always had an ample bottom and has noticeably lost weight all over. Put a direct questions into the forum there are loads of people on here with the same problem who have tried lots of things I think MFP is better than an internet search sometimes. Good Luck!

I love your wording you sound like a writer?! :smile:
  • newnarelle
    newnarelle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way as someone told me something like 6-9kg was a dress size and it felt like FOREVER to drop from a size 20 to a 16, but as soon as I hit a certain point, size 16 fit, and now I can see a size 14 in the not too far distance. Persevere, because just when you start wondering if you will ever get there, you will be fitting into another size down! I am smaller up top, even though I have a large bust, but the stomach, hips and waist feel like they are taking forever. Make sure you measure as well as I was starting to get discouraged after gaining back 3.5 kgs after a short plateau (I did slack off) I measured myself and realised from the beginning I had lost a massive 94cm! So remember where you started and be proud of how far you have come. These changes take time. Good luck!!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I recently read that the first place you gain weight is going to be the last place you lose it. If you're like me, that's hips, thighs, and butt. Of course, those are the areas I want to lose the weight from first! Just keep doing what you're doing, and you're definitely going in the right direction!
  • newnarelle
    newnarelle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way as someone told me something like 6-9kg was a dress size and it felt like FOREVER to drop from a size 20 to a 16, but as soon as I hit a certain point, size 16 fit, and now I can see a size 14 in the not too far distance. Persevere, because just when you start wondering if you will ever get there, you will be fitting into another size down! I am smaller up top, even though I have a large bust, but the stomach, hips and waist feel like they are taking forever. Make sure you measure as well as I was starting to get discouraged after gaining back 3.5 kgs after a short plateau (I did slack off) I measured myself and realised from the beginning I had lost a massive 94cm! So remember where you started and be proud of how far you have come. These changes take time. Good luck!!

Sorry just one more thing, it was actually not too long after the 35 pound mark I dropped to the size 16, so a few more pounds and I am sure you will find some 16's that start fitting!! And clothes do depend on makes etc, I actually bought a dress not long ago, and size 14 was too big! I had to get the size 12, although pants are 16's and tops generally 14.
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!! I appreciate all the feed back!