How do you eat a salad without traditional dressing?

Options

Replies

• ameobia
    ameobia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Seasons has a delicious less fat recipe on the envelope, when made, it's 35 calories per two tablespoons, and that's enough for an average salad. I love it! Also if I have room in my diet, I use guacamole.
  • Piperbarb
    Piperbarb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I make a large salad at home for myself, I use two tablespoons of hummus and mix it into the salad.
  • SeventhSister66
    SeventhSister66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chop up some red bell peppers,onions roast them or sautee until creamy, add a few spices or olive oil, watever oil you like, blend with water. You can make it spicy by adding cayenne and change the flavor with basil, oregano for Italian, Ginger and garlic, honey for a asian flare or mexican oregano and cumin for a mexican flavor. Some different mustards also add a good texture and flavor, jalapeno, dijon, spicy brown etc.. store it in a jar in the fridge. If you make a big batch you can split it up and have all the flavors all at once. Also if you add less water its a great spread on sndwiches and burgers etc.
  • SeventhSister66
    SeventhSister66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tahini and lemon with different spices sea salt honey.
    Avacado, lime, spices water
    Raw Almond butter, lemon , lime or orange juice, spices
    Olive oil, sun dried tomatoes water spices blend, yum!

• jeremypetz
    jeremypetz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse farms dressing. Low calories, low carb (many). I can find them at my standard super market.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like traditional dressings, homemade, by which I mean a vinaigrette (other than an occasional bleu cheese I am not big on creamy dressings). I make them more calorie-friendly by adjusting the proportions of olive oil to vinegar and not going nuts on the amount.

I also like dressings made from vinegar and mustard, which are super low cal, and do an Asian style one with lemon or lime juice, soy sauce, and sriracha.

I like tomatillo sauce in place of a dressing on a steak salad sometimes.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If a single salad, 1/4 Of a lemon and a tbl of olive, salt and pepper to taste ( just a sprinkle) my favorite! Easy healthy and tasty!
    Large salad 1 whole lemon and 1/4 cup oil. Salt and pepper.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The bolthouse dressings are awesome. The salsa verde avocado is amazing. Even my anti- healthy-food eating husband likes it.
  • enneirda07
    enneirda07 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not gonna read all of these so idk if it was already mentioned but bolthouse farms dressings are good and low calorie. 2 tablespoons are 40 calorie and it's in the produce section.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I use lemon juice (lemon wedge to a half a lemon, depending on the size of the salad). Sometimes some pepper too.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Flavor infused balsamic vinegars! Oh man, full of flavor and low cal. My favorite is dark cherry infused balsamic on nearly any green salad. And on fruit salads...chocolate infused balsamic. Soooo good!
  • healthyfitsamantha
    healthyfitsamantha Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to have trouble eating salads (and enjoying them), but once I found FlavorGod.com seasonings, my world has been changed (that sounds dramatic, but I'm not even joking). I love adding their "Bacon Lover" or "Cheese" Seasonings to a savory salad or their "Himalayan Salt and Pink Peppercorn" Seasoning to just about any other kind of salad. Sooooo Good! If you're interested in trying them out, you're welcome to use my custom coupon code SAMANTHA11AN to save 10% on your order.
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use balsamic vinaigrette a lot. And my dad actually uses lemon juice. I haven't tried that one yet though so I can't vouch for it.
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I put home made salsa on it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Flavor infused balsamic vinegars! Oh man, full of flavor and low cal. My favorite is dark cherry infused balsamic on nearly any green salad. And on fruit salads...chocolate infused balsamic. Soooo good!

Strawberries with a little balsamic are amazing, and now I am wondering about chocolate balsamic on them. Hmm.
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    3 tablespoons olive oi, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, salt and pepper. Delicious on tossed salad. A little sugar won't hurt you. It's better than those high calorie creamy dressings. and tastes great.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love the lemon dressing on this site when I needed some new dressing ideas. http://www.getoffyouracid.com/the-alkaline-super-salad/ It only has 4 ingredients! In fact, I need to go make a batch tonight :)
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Fresh raspberries crushed through a strainer with the back of a spoon into some balsamic vinegar, no oil. If you want a creamier mouth-feel, add crouton-sized cubes of avocado to your salad rather than using oil in the dressing.

(ps: this is particularly satisfying on salads containing salad shrimp)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My favorite homemade dressing is Ranch. I use 1/2 cup or more greek yogurt (plain), 1/2 cup Light mayo, 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp granulated onion, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp MSG (accent), dash of pepper, 1/4 tsp dried parsley and 1 or 2 minced garlic cloves. It gets better if you let it sit for an hour or so. You can thin with a little milk if necessary. If using the fresh garlic (and it is much better if you do) be aware that it only lasts in the fridge for a few days. For some reason the garlic seems to make it get runnier and runnier over time. I use this on baked potatoes more than salad, lol.
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I use either Hummus or Dill Pickle juice when I am short on calories.