Working out before bedtime

Options
deasmi86
deasmi86 Posts: 21 Member
I want still workout but I heard that you're not supposed to exercise before your usual that's why. Exactly what will happen?

Replies

• gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, you won't be able to fall asleep if you workout right before bedtime.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The way I've read it, it is that exercise within 2 hours of bedtime supposedly raises all your 'awake' hormones and lowers all your 'sleep' hormones. I usually do my exercise in the evening and while I don't sleep well, I haven't slept well in a decades and the exercising doesn't make it any worse.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Exercise might or might not affect your sleep. Try it and see. It doesn't bother me when I do it but what works for me won't necessarily work for you.
  • emar831
    emar831 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I workout after work and somedays I am unable to go to the gym until after dinner. I get home about the time I normally go to bed. It takes a little bit until I can wind down but no more than an hour. I will often use my foam roller these nights to help relax. Once I am asleep, I sleep well these nights.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I never have trouble sleeping when I workout late. You have to see how it affects YOU. Everyone is different.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. It might affect your sleep and it might not. There's no way to know until you try it. You just might want to be ready for the possibility that you can't wind down and might get less or less restful sleep that night. Pick a night and try it out.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do my ab workouts at 1am after I get out of work if I don't have time after my main workout. But I don't go to sleep until 3am anyways so I have time to settle down.
  • deasmi86
    deasmi86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find I sleep better when I work out in the evening before bed as opposed to in the morning or earlier in the day. Exercising before bed does not keep me up. A lot of nights, I'll run and do some quick strength training then shower, eat a quick dinner or snack, and get ready for bed.

If exercising before bed keeps you up then you can switch to the morning or earlier in the day (lunch or right after work), or try something more mellow like yoga.