Benefits of tumeric

Options
jenied
jenied Posts: 4 Member
Hi all I have just been recommended to try tumeric and coconut milk drink to ease sore joints. Has anyone tried this ?

Replies

• jenied
    Options
    To be honest i think I upped my training too quickly, im training for 10k and can comfortably manage 6k but added 1k and have noticed soreness in ankles. Have seen numerous reports on benefits of tumeric yet to hear anyone have results.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...I couldn't find a study done on tumeric/coconut milk but this is what WebMD had...

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-662-turmeric.aspx?activeingredientid=662

I have no idea if it works or not but taken in a limited quantity it shouldn't do any harm.

Make sure that you read the side affects on that site that I listed however. There are a few cases where avoiding doses of tumeric might be advisable.
  • jenied
    Options
    Thanks Annie will take a look.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    From web md:

"...Some people apply turmeric to the skin for ... gum disease ...
    Turmeric is also used as an enema for people with inflammatory bowel disease."

Looks like it gets you coming and going.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I take a bromelain/turmeric supplement, seems to work for my chronic headaches
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have undiagnosed joint issues in my fingers (xray showed no signs of arthritis, doc hasn't a clue). I take turmeric capsules twice a day. They DEFINITELY help reduce the soreness and stiffness. They don't elimnate it, but they help.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I try to cook with turmeric for my mother to help with her joints and inflammation. There's a lot of good healthy indian recipes online that call for turmeric. Tonight I made chicken tikka masala with brown rice and it came to 450 cal a serving. Here it is: http://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-chicken-tikka-masala/ This one doesn't include brown rice but adding it makes it a more macro balanced and filling meal.
    I added extra turmeric. Then after dinner I made her turmeric tea. I can't really say if it's actually doing much or if it's the placebo affect but I think it helps her a little.

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is a delicious spice and tasty with coconuts.
    It will have no joint effect but is tasty and also a natural dye.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've taken it and felt a subtle difference in my chronic joint pain. I'm taking it now in fact. But I tend to get better at taking supplements when I'm eating better so it could be correlation not causation!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I started adding it to my paella and I found that it really enhances the flavor and color.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Scientific review of curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric): https://examine.com/supplements/curcumin/
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I take it with piperine (Black peppercorn) when I get a flare up. I love it added to my steamed or baked cauliflower.

It seems to help me but I take it along side ibuprofen and yoga so it could be placebo.
  • mowbry
    mowbry Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use tumeric in most of my food and smoothies as an anti-inflammatory, however, you need to use black pepper with it so the body can absorb it better. I would advise seeing a sports therapist, as they are fantastic at giving good advice regarding your training routine, your footwear and perhaps your running technique.