Addicted to exercise

Angall08
Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
I read somewhere that people can get addicted to exercising. It makes them feel good and look good so they don't want to stop. They are trying to kick in an extra hour or extra rep and so on. It eventually becomes there life and they have no time for anything else and lose friends and relationships and so on.... so I read of course.

Is this really possible? Have you known anyone addicted to exercising?

Replies

• Healthyhenk
    Healthyhenk Posts: 33 Member
    Yes you can get addicted. Exercising gives you that feeling. It's creates some chemical thing. I think someone could explain it but i just know it can be addicted :smiley::smiley:
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 266 Member
    Yes, it is possible. Usually not sustainable because such a person usually ends up injured due to lack of recovery days.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Angall08 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that people can get addicted to exercising. It makes them feel good and look good so they don't want to stop. They are trying to kick in an extra hour or extra rep and so on. It eventually becomes there life and they have no time for anything else and lose friends and relationships and so on.... so I read of course.

It happens. You just end up replacing old friends with new friends who have a similar approach to life and health.

I found that I ended up spending more time in pubs as a result of taking up more sports. :D
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    For the most part "being addicted to exercise" is a good thing. There are some people who take it to an extreme but the amount of exercise the average "addicted" person puts in is far less than the time the average person spends watching TV.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    I had a problem with this and I still have to really work to exercise in moderation. There was a time when I was running 90-100 miles a week and eating nearly 2,000 calories a day. I was way too thin, my body shut down and my hormones/cortisol/blood sugar was all out of whack. I was out of exercising for over a year. Any type of activity besides walking and I would have extreme fatigue. I also developed mono. I love to exercise but it can consume me, always trying to do 10 more minutes, then 20, then the next thing I know I can add in more walks in the afternoon. As of now I workout four days a week and the other 3 just stay somewhat active through a light walk. Exercise can be great when it makes you feel good, its when you start adding more and more and ignore the symptoms of when your body really needs a rest and you start putting other parts of your life on hold just to exercise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Yes its a thing. Usually injury will happen either through exercise itself, poor eating, etc to sustain such activities.

but a person can really addicted to anything though..
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    There was a chart floating around on how to achieve certain body types regarding body fat percentages, the changes you'd have to make, etc. The leaner you are or want to be meant for less of a social life outside of the gym.

That being said, sure, people can be addicted to many things. Exercise produces some major feel good hormones and provides a certain asthetic to those that do it regularly enough.

And if you're doing it all the time, that's gotta put some strain on social situations with people that may not understand or follow said rigorous lifestyle.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    edited May 2017
    Yep. It's a thing. It may be similar to something like Orthorexia which is not currently clinically diagnosed.