Calories Burned

Options
thegoya
thegoya Posts: 100 Member
Can someone please explain to me why the 'calories burned' in MFP is only a fraction of the 'calories burned' in Fitbit? for the same day and, when you check MFP the next day (for the previous day) it goes down instead of up after doing more activity at the end of the previous day, that is reflected in FitBit? p.s., I only check after FitBit has been synced. TIA

Replies

• SarahFromWalthamForest
    SarahFromWalthamForest Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Fitbit includes the calories burned just for being alive. MFP already accounts for this (the calories burned from being alive) otherwise you wouldn't have an allocation of calories to eat on here...
  • thegoya
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thank you, good to know. I guess I'm going to have to work a lot harder...lol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    On top of why the previous poster said...when MFP reads your Fitbit, it estimates that you're going to burn at that same rate for the rest of the day.

Say you sync Fitbit at 7 PM. MFP reads it and calculates that you'll burn about 2200 calories for the entire day. If you're on a 1500 calorie goal to lose a pound a week, that means you will be burning an additional 200 calories. But that's an assumption. You end up spending the evening on the couch and go to bed at 10. When you sync the next morning, MFP sees you ended up only burning 2100 calories. This means your adjustment for the day only ended up being 100 calories and it has to change this.
  • thegoya
    Options
    What would be the best available online calculator that would determine how many calories I should eat at rest BMR, with everyday living and with some activity? Being 5' it keeps the numbers rather low but I'd like to know with some accuracy. It all seems rather scientific and that's great but having a source that will provide the information would be great too. TIA