Fitbit Alta HR or Apple Watch?

Options
Bostonbee79
Bostonbee79 Posts: 40 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm looking at getting a new Fitbit or trying out an Apple Watch. I looked at the Blaze, but I wasn't a fan.

I know the price difference will be about $100+ between my two options. And that one is a smart watch and one is not - essentially comparing apples to oranges. But these are the 2 I'm interested in the most. Does anyone have either the new Alta HR or the Apple Watch? What do you like or not like about it when it comes to tracking steps and/or other exercise? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR and it works great for me. I don't know much about the Alta HR, but hopefully someone else can give more insight.

• Bostonbee79
    Options
    I had the Charge HR. That's the one that died in the wash.
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have both, and I personally enjoy the Alta HR a lot more than my Apple watch.... For workout/fitness reasons. :) The Apple watch is stylish, but my Alta HR is more practical for tracking workouts, steps, and diet.
  • Bostonbee79
    Options
    Thanks Colorado! I keep going back and forth. I'm thinking Alta HR is probably more practical. I like the looks of the new one because it's thinner. I love the idea of the Apple Watch, but I don't know that I would use the apps and things on it. Something to think about over the next few weeks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    IMO the apple watch has too many fancy shmancy options that i would never use. Plus you need to be an apple devotee, which i 100% am not, I've always stuck with Android.

I have the regular Alta, no HR monitor, which works great for my needs. If i was going to upgrade, I'd go for the charge2. But from what I've read on here heart rate monitors are pretty useless for my type of exercise which is all step based.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple Watch but the only Fitbit I have to compare it to was a clip style "One." It has really kept me on track, I really respond to the gamelike features of filling the activity rings and tracking my streaks and special achievements. I'd say I use it 97% for health and fitness, 1% for reminders, 1% for passively seeing my emails and messages, and 1% for kitchen timers :smiley: The social side is lacking a little compared to Fitbit but it is what you make of it.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I would implore anyone looking into the fitbit Alta HR to read the link below. The PurePulse technnology can be an issue for people who have pre-existing medical conditions.

https://www.fitbit.com/legal/safety-instructions
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple Watch, but I'm not sure it's the best option for a legit fitness tracker. And it's fairly useless as anything but a Watch and pedometer unless you also have your phone. But It's great for discreetly checking text messages during meetings. I use ALL the features, so PM me if you want to know something specific.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a charge 2 and absolutely love it I debated between a charge 2 and Apple Watch but I wanted the challenge competition aspect which really motivates me because I don't exercise at all