Gone over

Options
I was doing so well then yesterday I went well over ! Shal I change to maintenance calories for this week ?7kxwzdh4zh2j.png

Replies

• Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Fivefootcaloriecounter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    tuzt0ptzioa7.png
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What would be the reason for that? You'd just be adding to the overage.

I'd suggest that you just pick up where you left off. One day over is inconsequential. Just don't make it a habit.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I mean, I don't see what you can't keep on trucking. Eat at your normal calories instead of switching to maintainance. That'll be more helpful to your goal than continuing to tack on more calories. It's not the straw that broke the camel's back basically. You logged, you had yourself a tasty food day, build that bridge. No big deal.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Maintenance helps me get back on track if I'm having trouble eating well after a high calorie day. If you feel you can go back to your normal deficit today, that's good.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I have such a day as that, I try to figure out "Why". I do try to log accurately in real time, and even on those days I can see the truth of what I was doing for breakfast and usually lunch and sometimes dinner and snacks. The one thing that my diary consistently reveals to me on those days is that I skipped or shorted breakfast. I must have at least 350 calories for breakfast, or I will binge in the afternoon/evening. On only a very few other days during this journey my intent was to have a very high calorie day, as for a celebratory dinner out, or for a brief vacation away.

In any case, get back to your normal routine right away. Such water as you retain from the high sodium intake will drain away in a few days and any fat you stored from the high calories will oxidize away as you remain in your calorie deficit for a few days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd go back to my deficit personally.

And as someone else has said, I'd look at my 'why' for going so far over. If it was just a treat meal for a celebration then fine, if it was eating your feelings then you need to work on some better coping mechanisms.

Also, you may want to look at whether your deficit is too steep to sustain without binges.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Looking at your weekly average you are over by 46 kcal a day(I'm aware this may have changed now), why would you change to maintenance with such a tiny overage? It may impact your loss this week by a 1/4lb if that.

Acknowledge and carry on as you are, maybe try and figure out why you went over by 2057kcal that day, are you restricting too much leading to overeating?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    Looking at your weekly average you are over by 46 kcal a day(I'm aware this may have changed now), why would you change to maintenance with such a tiny overage? It may impact your loss this week by a 1/4lb if that.

Acknowledge and carry on as you are, maybe try and figure out why you went over by 2057kcal that day, are you restricting too much leading to overeating?

OP is only over by that much if she eats only 600 cals Sunday and 200 on Monday which obviously isn't a good idea
  • Duchy82
    Options

OP is only over by that much if she eats only 600 cals Sunday and 200 on Monday which obviously isn't a good idea

I assumed Monday wasn't completely filled in yet hence the I'm aware this may have changed by now in brackets (I hope so anyways). In which case one day at 600kcal isn't going to do any harm as plenty of people do 5:2 dieting. Even then if Monday was a 1200 kcal day it's 200kcal ish over per day on average and really not going to massively impact weightloss, 1/4-1/2lb at most

If not OP and you truly only ate 200kcal on monday this isn't a good idea to compensate for overeating, it will lead to malnutrition and or probably more overeating.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I assumed Monday wasn't completely filled in yet hence the I'm aware this may have changed by now in brackets (I hope so anyways). In which case one day at 600kcal isn't going to do any harm as plenty of people do 5:2 dieting. Even then if Monday was a 1200 kcal day it's 200kcal ish over per day on average and really not going to massively impact weightloss, 1/4-1/2lb at most

If not OP and you truly only ate 200kcal on monday this isn't a good idea to compensate for overeating, it will lead to malnutrition and or probably more overeating.

People who do 5:2 are eating at maintenance 5 days a week at 5/600 the other 2. OP isn't doing that.
  • Duchy82
    Options

People who do 5:2 are eating at maintenance 5 days a week at 5/600 the other 2. OP isn't doing that.

I'm well aware op is not doing that I used it as an example of why having a low calorie day wouldn't be an issue.

Not going to argue but plenty of people look at a weekly average for calories instead of daily in which case op is still averaging over daily calories. If it doesnt turn into a daily thing of eating such low amounts it shouldn't be an issue.

Personally I would always aim for being close to daily calories, saying that I couldn't eat 1200kcal a day let alone only 600 even if I have a day where I go way over.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why would you change to maintenance for a week instead of just a day?

so you went over. today (or tomorrow, whichever it is for you) ... dont.