Eating for your body shape

Options
I carry my excess fat in my midsection and back. Science says I need to be on a low carb diet to reduce this fat. I tried it and it does work except it leaves me with less energy to do weighted exercises. I enjoy working out and don't want to have to stop because my diet doesn't fuel me. And for me I doubt I can make it a life long commitment.
So I decided to count calories on MFP with carbs included. Problem is my weight isn't changing. It's been 25 days of logging but the scale stays the same.
So confused.

Replies

• phumy_healthyhabits
    phumy_healthyhabits Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I measure my food with a scale. I even measure my fluids ie milk, I don't eat back calories on exercise days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I carry my excess fat in my midsection and back. Science says I need to be on a low carb diet to reduce this fat. I tried it and it does work except it leaves me with less energy to do weighted exercises. I enjoy working out and don't want to have to stop because my diet doesn't fuel me. And for me I doubt I can make it a life long commitment.
    So I decided to count calories on MFP with carbs included. Problem is my weight isn't changing. It's been 25 days of logging but the scale stays the same.
    So confused.

What 'science' says that?

• phumy_healthyhabits
    Options
    So confused.

What 'science' says that?

Ok I should rather have said Google lol.
  • mariesofi4108
    mariesofi4108 Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There's really no such thing as "eating for your body shape." You loose weight everywhere gradually. The reason "low carb" diets seem to work is because the water weight flushes out. Plus carbs are important to fuel your workout like you mentioned! Just cut out 250 calories a day and see if your weight decreased. ( in a week it would lead to a half pound deficit) I lost 26 pounds with running and trust me, I ate so many carbs!
  • phumy_healthyhabits
    Options
    There's really no such thing as "eating for your body shape." You loose weight everywhere gradually. The reason "low carb" diets seem to work is because the water weight flushes out. Plus carbs are important to fuel your workout like you mentioned! Just cut out 250 calories a day and see if your weight decreased. ( in a week it would lead to a half pound deficit) I lost 26 pounds with running and trust me, I ate so many carbs!

Thanks Marie
    Guess what? I did cut a few calories and increased my water intake the past 4 days and what do you know, the numbers moved. Nothing major but something happened. So glad was getting worried.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Whatever science said that isn't really a science.

How are you measuring your intake? If you aren't losing, you're likely eating more than you think.

This^

Where you lose weight from is largely genetic. I'm have a pear shape, and of course I lose weight on top first :s
  • monicaamy902
    monicaamy902 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else! Genetics plays a big part in our shape. My belly got bigger after I had a kid, it wasn't the extra bread. Calorie deficits are the only thing that work for me, but only if I am eating good outside of that. I also try to eat the majority of my calories at lunch or before. If I skip out on dinner or have a snack or liquid dinner I seem to do better. Yep, most of my days I drink a glass of wine for dinner and in the morning (as long as my calories were under during the day) I will have dropped weight. If I eat a full size dinner, regardless of how many calories, I will either gain weight or stay the same weight.