Looking for cheap lunch recipe

Options
Kuzofruit
Kuzofruit Posts: 22 Member
Cheap and nutritious recipe. My current lunch is a banana.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    no wonder you can't reach your calorie goal.

add a meal to the banana. whatever you like - rice and vegies with a protein (eggs are cheap and provide some fat too). the same but with pasta instead of rice. change it up by using different herbs and spices and sauces.
    salad with protein and fat.
    soup with a sandwich (with a protein filling)
    a sandwich or wrap.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches or wraps- tuna sandwich, egg salad sandwich, peanut butter sandwich
    Lentil soup or bean soup
    Hard boiled egg
    Salads- http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270725/things-to-go-in-salads/p1
    Yogurt, fruit
    Oatmeal
    Baked potato
    Hummus and vegetables
    Falafel
    Pasta

http://www.budgetbytes.com
  • HotGirlShiiit
    HotGirlShiiit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a fish sandwich and fruit. I like the Gordon's brand fish parties. It's about 140 cal a pattie and you can get an 8 or 12 pack for about $4. Sometimes I eat it without bread. Like as a main meat with broccoli. The frozen broccoli is like a $1.20ish. But it'll last all week. You could even put cheese on the broccoli. Or substitute it for another veggie. It's easy to pack and cooks well in the microwave at work!
  • Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Wafer meat roll ups- Wafer ham (or just deli slices), I squash a light cream cheese triangle like Dairylea or Laughing Cow and strips of cucumber or peppers in the middle and roll it up. Bring a light dip or salsa to dunk it in.

Cheep and cheerful, it's a protein and veggie lunch with low carb!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Woodsmoke wrote: »
    Wafer meat roll ups- Wafer ham (or just deli slices), I squash a light cream cheese triangle like Dairylea or Laughing Cow and strips of cucumber or peppers in the middle and roll it up. Bring a light dip or salsa to dunk it in.

try tzatziki sauce its awesome. I buy the cedars cucumber garlic and dill. or hummus you cant go wrong with hummus. Im a ranch fiend so i had to find some other options or i would go swimming in it. lol
  • aryannalamarco123
    aryannalamarco123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're only eating a banana for lunch I would start slow so it's not hard on your body to have a big heavy lunch. My favorite easy cheap lunch is this: Toast whole wheat bread, while it's toasting mash avocado and lemon juice together with a fork. Put that on the side. Separate eggs to get 2-3 egg whites, and make it into a omelette. (Maybe add some greens to it.) when the toast is done spread avocado on the toast and add the egg white on top. DO NOT cook the egg whites with salt, season it AFTER because the salt will break down the egg and make it watery.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Tuna, eggs and beans.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A banana is a snack.

2 x chicken breasts
    1 x 2lb bag of frozen mixed veggies
    2 x chicken bullion cubes
    Water

Boil the chicken in the water and bullion until cooked, take them out, cut them up, pop them back in the post with the vegetables. Voila. Chicken soup, approximately 6 serves worth.
  • denato1
    denato1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Chili. World of macro and micro nutrients, cheap and easy
  • Meblic
    Meblic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cucumber and tomato salad, can of tuna, some whole wheat pasta and some feta cheese mix it all together and enjoy.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Woodsmoke wrote: »

oooo meat sushi! I'll have to keep that one in mind for my next lunches :smiley:
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake. 1 tub lasts 2ish weeks with 2 scoops for the standard blender bottle size.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Kinda hard to beat a banana for cheap. Personally I couldn't be full on one. Thinking of it makes me want a banana and peanut butter sandwich, that would fill me up.

Leftovers are my usual for lunch, when you make dinner always double the recipe and make leftovers. This saves both time and money.

For cheap and mobile, Premier Protein bars from Costco are about $1 each.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    couscous salad loaded w/veggies and a dressing
    fruit salad w/greek yogurt
    bean burritos
    egg roll in a bowl
    tuna/chicken salad
    boiled eggs and a piece of fruit
    leftovers
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Kuzofruit wrote: »
    Cheap and nutritious recipe. My current lunch is a banana.

lol
  • KSimmarano
    KSimmarano Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I buy all natural beef and chicken bone broth from amazon in single serve packets. (like flavored juice packets, but is also available in kcups.) I add a scoop of high-quality multi collagen protein to boost the protein and other benefits and a couple of table spoons of freeze-dried soup veggies. It all adds up to 126 calories, 18.5 grams of protein and only about 590mg sodium. It's very tasty and filling. The bone broth is about $2/packet, about $o.32/serving for the veggies and less than $0.75/ serving for collagen.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Progresso light soup.
    Entire can is under $2.00 (usually $1.59) and is pretty filling and only 140 -170 calories
  • kcdc0401
    kcdc0401 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sams club has huge rotisserie chickens (twice as big as the ones from Wal-Mart) for < $5 that I debone 1 per week and use for sandwiches, salad, or easy alone. Can also debone and freeze.
  • heathersimon31
    heathersimon31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you count for a hard boiled egg?? I have come up with a lot of different numbers