Smoothies

Options
What kind of smoothies do you guys make? Give me some ideas?

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I like smoothies and usually just throw in whatever frozen fruits I have, and some water, yogurt or milk.

The one big thing to remember with smoothies is that they are an easy way to eat a lot of calories fast.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I make sure to make them mostly vegetable-based and add in some source of protein and usually some fat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie with protein powder, greens, oats, and frozen berries. I'll throw in some chia or flax if I have it on hand.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla Almond milk 1 cup 30 cals 1 scoop of whey vanilla protein powder 70 cals 1tbs peanut butter 90 cals and sprinkle some oats and cinnamon. and ice in the blender. Yummy. It has about 230cals. I drink it after a good cardio workout. I love it!!
  • LexiKazoo95
    LexiKazoo95 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ice, tequila and lime juice.

Hahaha, that's my kind of drink, but I'm not doing alcohol right now
  • LexiKazoo95
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I make a smoothie with protein powder, greens, oats, and frozen berries. I'll throw in some chia or flax if I have it on hand.

I've never tried greens in a smoothie? Can you taste it does it make taste bad?
  • LexiKazoo95
    Options
    NewTnme wrote: »
    Unsweetened vanilla Almond milk 1 cup 30 cals 1 scoop of whey vanilla protein powder 70 cals 1tbs peanut butter 90 cals and sprinkle some oats and cinnamon. and ice in the blender. Yummy. It has about 230cals. I drink it after a good cardio workout. I love it!!

What's the protein powder for? And is this something I have to drink after a workout , can I have it for breakfast? When's it a good time to drink it?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

What's the protein powder for? And is this something I have to drink after a workout , can I have it for breakfast? When's it a good time to drink it?

If you are low on protein. It's a supplement.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the difference between a shake and a smoothie is, but this is more of a shake I think. I make it on weights days to make sure I hit my protein goals.

PB&J - I take my vanilla protein powder, and blend it with peanut butter and frozen fruit. What a treat! :D
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i keep mine pretty simple, cup of mix berries (140 grams), 1 scoop whey protein, 1/2 - 1 cup of almond milk... and sometimes add in some applesauce or yogurt too. sky is the limit!
  • LexiKazoo95
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Not sure what the difference between a shake and a smoothie is, but this is more of a shake I think. I make it on weights days to make sure I hit my protein goals.

PB&J - I take my vanilla protein powder, and blend it with peanut butter and frozen fruit. What a treat! :D

That sounds good. I just never had protein powder before
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I've never tried greens in a smoothie? Can you taste it does it make taste bad?

Not with the flavored protein powder in it. Half a banana also covers up the taste. If you want to try it, start with a small amount of greens and work your way up. I buy whatever is cheap at the grocery and freeze it in zip lock bags. I'm not great about eating my greens so I get em in this way :)
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

If you are replacing a meal with a smoothie it is usually good to add protein. Protein helps to maintain muscle mass.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The ones I make the most are:
    Water, kale or spinach, 2 lemons or limes, green apple, 1/2 cucumber (sometimes I omit this), 1-2 inches of fresh ginger, 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds and/or hemp heart seeds

Water, kale or spinach, strawberries, mangos, pineapple, and chia seeds and/or hemp heart seeds. Sometimes I'll add an orange or grapefruit.

Water, strawberries, beet, avocado, and apple

1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 2 tablespoons rolled oats, 1 tablespoons chia seeds, 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1-2 dates, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract. Sometimes I'll add protein powder.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't. Drinking my calories does nothing to help satisfy my hunger, or make me feel full for any length of time - I prefer to eat the food instead.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't. Drinking my calories does nothing to help satisfy my hunger, or make me feel full for any length of time - I prefer to eat the food instead.

Mine has fiber and protein so it works for me. I guess it depends on what's in it. I, too, don't like to drink empty calories! ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Here is the recipe for my green smoothie:
    4 oz whole milk kefir
    60 g kale
    1 frozen banana
    30 g PB2
    1 oz hemp seeds
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Mine has fiber and protein so it works for me. I guess it depends on what's in it. I, too, don't like to drink empty calories! ;)

Mine did too... A lot! Still no "sticking" power
  • ffy6
    ffy6 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Robeks has one called "tropikale", I just ask to replace the yogurt with strawberries, its soooooo good, I really recommend :)