Help understanding difference between Garmin and Fitbit Kj burn figures

DougScolari
DougScolari Posts: 1 Member
Hi
Im trying to understand the difference between Fitbit and Garmin . Specifically how MFP records KJ's burnt.
I have a Garmin my daughter has a Fitbit. If we walk appoximately the same steps 11000 the Garmin MFP shows a net burn for Garmin of 2000 KJ's but MFP shows 1400 for Fitbit. Can someone please explain this?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    @DougScolari. Welcome to MFP.
    Each manufacturer has a different calculation method.
    I use the tracker as a reference point +/- error margin. No device is 100% precise.
    The important goal is that you are keeping yourself active.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Also the difference between your weight and your daughters matters as each of you is moving your body over the steps
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Differences in gender, height, weight, heart rate (if HR models) will make a difference and as stated above devices are not 100% accurate. If it's a calorie adjustment in MFP it could also be to do with the activity settings you each have in MFP - a sedentary activity level will attract more calories in the adjustment than a more active level.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Differences in gender, height, weight, heart rate (if HR models) will make a difference and as stated above devices are not 100% accurate. If it's a calorie adjustment in MFP it could also be to do with the activity settings you each have in MFP - a sedentary activity level will attract more calories in the adjustment than a more active level.

All this.

Same activities and I burn a lot more than my wife. But she gets more steps in. We both have Garmins.