What has potassium, iron and calcium in it?

tpalit2001
tpalit2001 Posts: 24 Member
Hi guys, I looked at my mfp reports and it seems like I'm missing my targets for potassium, iron and calcium. I'm trying to lose weight so I have a limited number of options.

Does anyone know a low calorie food item (especially low in carbs) that is rich in all three nutrients?

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Spinach
    Banana
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited May 2017
    Don't trust the MFP reports for those things. Because they're not required to be on food labels, the entries in the database often have a 0 for those nutrients even when a food might be a rich source of it. The database is very unreliable for nutrients.
  • tpalit2001
    Thanks, sorry I should have mentioned. My diet includes both. So my diet right now has lean chicken, fish, egg whites, oatmeal, tomato slice, whole wheat bread, spinach, banana, yoghurt and banana.

I can't eat another banana without going over my carb limit, and I can stand only so much spinach on a daily basis :(
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    @tpalit2001
    Broccoli has potassium and iron. I steamed and add feta cheese crumbled on top ( Calcium)
  • tpalit2001
    @Alatariel75: I didn't know that! Is the calorie content accurate in your experience?
  • tpalit2001
    @socioseguro : Neat! Thanks a lot, fits into my calorie budget nicely!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    tpalit2001 wrote: »
    @Alatariel75: I didn't know that! Is the calorie content accurate in your experience?

The calorie content can also be unreliable, so you need to be alive to the possibility it could be wrong - I check entries against the labels where possible, and use USDA entries where I can. Now I've been doing it for so long, I have reliable entries in my recent and frequent foods so I don't worry too much.

But yeah, you will probably find that you're getting a lot more of those nutrients than you think.
  • tpalit2001
    I see. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Good news! 14007 Alcoholic beverage, beer, light, BUD LIGHT
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Flintstones vitamins.

That's no fun.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I have a host of food allergies so my answer is a good multi-vitamin.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    If you ingest iron and calcium at the same time they will cancel each other out.

Also micronutrients in foods are never calorie free.

Take them in pill form or don't worry about missing today's target.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    So I make sure I get all my iron, I have a serving of whole grain total every day. That will get me 100% of my iron. Potatoes sweet potatoes tomatoes are all other Rich sources sources of potassium
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    I was concerned about potassium, too. I did a fair amount of research. This is what I learned.

1. There are a lot of foods higher in potassium than bananas--tomato sauce, orange juice, avocado, spinach, almonds, white beans, sweet potato, cod etc. Look it up. Bananas are low on the list.
    2. If I ate a store bought spaghetti tomato sauce, or salsa, or baked beans, MFP often did not show any increase in potassium. That's 'cuz the manufacturer's food label did not give any. Potassium is not required by law to be reported. Some labels do. Most do not. MFP just takes the manufacturer's label.
    3. If I ate a homemade spaghetti tomato sauce or bean dish, MFP would report the potassium. That's 'cuz I entered the raw ingredients into a recipe.

Note: tomatoes & oranges are good sources of potassium, but the juice & sauces have a much higher, concentrated, amount. one cup of tomato juice is very low in calories & incredibly high in potassium.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Beans. Beans are high in potassium, calcium, and iron. Yeah, they have carbs. But a high fiber diet the friend of dieters & people who want to grow old gracefully. We should eat beans.
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    That would explain why iron and fiber doesn't always come up in my macros when I eat veg!