Accuracy of iPhone step counter?

Options
Has anyone used the step counter on an iPhone and found it accurate? Backstory is that I have been losing more than expected since starting on a 1200 cal/day diet, so I decided to turn on the step counter on my phone to try to determine if I was sedentary or more active. On Wednesday and Thursday, it measured ~2000 steps for me, which seems really low. If I am really only taking that many steps, then my activity level is set correctly at sedentary, which doesn't make sense because I have been losing 2 lbs a week instead of 1 for the past month. I am currently 138 lbs, 24 yo, female, 5'1". I don't have the funds right now to get a more accurate fitness tracker.

Replies

• bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use the steps app.on my iPhone-it's free_i think it's pretty accurate_i read a lot of the reviews for it_maybe you could download it and compare.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,693 Member
    Options
    So eat more than 1200!

You don't need to know your steps to know whether you're losing faster or slower than you want to.

<of course steps are a nice thing to know; but they are not NECESSARY>

You don't need a specific label <sedentary, very active> to adjust the calories that you eat so that your rate of loss is appropriate!

You probably should use a trending weight app to help you.

happy scale iphone.
    libra android.
    www.trendweight.com (requires a supported scale or a free--and available without a band--Fitbit.com account) or
    www.weightgrapher.com (set up yourself as wanting to maintain to tone down the commentary)