Quitting Smoking & Dieting

Options
Ugh I've been trying to quit smoking as I'm trying to get healthy again and it's so hard! Literally everyday I tell myself I'm not buying any more cigs and I always do

Replies

• CherylJackson1990
    CherylJackson1990 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was like that 8 months ago but you would need to focus on giving up smoking first before starting ur exercises I've managed now 8 months without a cigarette and now I am focusing on dieting and exercising...
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter. I quit smoking, drinking and starting eating healthy all within a two-month period.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I was like that 8 months ago but you would need to focus on giving up smoking first before starting ur exercises I've managed now 8 months without a cigarette and now I am focusing on dieting and exercising...

I disagree with his. Actually, it helped that I was exercising, because it gave me a reason to want to quit smoking. I didn't want to feel like my lungs were on fire anytime I'd run for 30 seconds.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's hard but you can do it! I smoked from age 13 to 25 and gave up cold turkey. I'm not going to lie...it was hard and I put on 20lbs (because I was also sedentary). If you're working out, you should be fine. What worked for me was staying away from smokers and calculating how much money I was spending on smokes and instead saved that money for something I really wanted...like new shoes or a vacation. Also, get a straw and try breathing through it. This would be your life with emphysema. It is a horrific way to slowly die.
  • kimberly85711
    kimberly85711 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh man that woke me up! It's crazy how this addiction controls me! I swear this pack will be the last one and I will tough it out bc I hate feeling so out of breath/shape when I run or just play around w my kids! I really wanna stop!!!
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I used e-cigarettes to kick the habit. There are liquids with varying amounts of nicotine and I gradually introduced lower amounts of nicotine until I was using a 0 mg liquid. They have different flavours too. It was a pleasurable experience quitting smoking. I dont feel the need to smoke. I'll have the odd smoke once in awhile and honestly it tastes awful lol the e-cigarettes tasted good but I feel no need to smoke or vape.
  • kimberly85711
    Options
    I was thinking of trying the Ecigs too but thought that would keep me wanting a cig but if I can't quit cold turkey I might have to try it!
  • yoherbs421
    Options
    I was thinking of trying the Ecigs too but thought that would keep me wanting a cig but if I can't quit cold turkey I might have to try it!

You might not like my advice. You could try cold turkey but you might find yourself craving hard and caving in going to the store to buy a pack. At least with ecigs you can reach for the ecig knowing that you are on your path to quitting. I always wanted to quit after 20 years of smoking, and I did, ecigs helped a great deal. My vape is collecting dust as we speak!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I've been cigarette free for about 2.5 years now. I used the anxiousness of wanting a cigarette to go workout and do cardio. It's really effing hard, but the cravings will subside and be more managable after about a month or two... you just gotta stay strong af. You CAN do it.

Also, I am 100% against ecigs. That's like quitting whisky by drinking beer.... you're just prolonging the suffering. "Rip off the bandaid". It's gonna sting, it's gonna suck, but the only way to get off niccotine is to not have it.
  • yoherbs421
    Options
    I've been cigarette free for about 2.5 years now. I used the anxiousness of wanting a cigarette to go workout and do cardio. It's really effing hard, but the cravings will subside and be more managable after about a month or two... you just gotta stay strong af. You CAN do it.

Also, I am 100% against ecigs. That's like quitting whisky by drinking beer.... you're just prolonging the suffering. "Rip off the bandaid". It's gonna sting, it's gonna suck, but the only way to get off niccotine is to not have it.

No. Its more like going from alcoholic beer to non-alcoholic beer. I started with 6mg of nicotine. Two weeks later I was doing 3mg. 2 weeks after that I was doing 0mg. Boom! done quit.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    yoherbs421 wrote: »

No. Its more like going from alcoholic beer to non-alcoholic beer. I started with 6mg of nicotine. Two weeks later I was doing 3mg. 2 weeks after that I was doing 0mg. Boom! done quit.

My experience with ecigs was much different. What's important is that everyone find what works best for them, but I'm still against ecigs. My experience was bad enough to never recommend them to anyone, ever, with or without niccotine. I had so much water from the vapor built up in my lungs I thought I was going to die, literally.

Part of quitting is getting rid of that habit of oral fixation as well.
  • yoherbs421
    Options
    yoherbs421 wrote: »

My experience with ecigs was much different. What's important is that everyone find what works best for them, but I'm still against ecigs. My experience was bad enough to never recommend them to anyone, ever, with or without niccotine. I had so much water from the vapor built up in my lungs I thought I was going to die, literally.

That did not happen with me, it's the first I've heard of it. Sorry to hear that happened. Good job on kicking it though. We all find our ways.
  • kimberly85711
    Options

I think after the pack in my purse is gone, that's it! I'm just gonna try to quit cold turkey bc it is a habit! I'm so scared of my kids picking up the hand/oral fixation I don't even like their Fidget spinners lol my nutty self is thinking that's alrdy training their brains to always need something in their hands like a cig
  • yoherbs421
    Options
    Just throw them out now lol