Overweight children

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I may have posted this before. I seem to be stuck in groundhog day.

Anyway.

When you were a child, were there overweight or obese children? I remember 2 at my school, in the entire 5 years of senior school, and maybe another 2 at my prep school. I was always on the podgy side as a child, at least, I was by the standards back then. When I look at photos now, I think I would be considered average by today's standards.

When I see statistics like 40% of children are overweight at 14% obese, I wonder where these children are, and how things have changed so much since I was a child.

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I was a skinny child. I was actually skinny until after I had my second child. The baby weight never came off with her.... and one day I looked up my BMI and I was considered "overweight." I have never been overweight in my life, so I made some changes- foodwise and exercise-wise. A month or two later I found MFP. Now I'm back to a "healthy" BMI. Yippee!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I thought I was fat. I wasn't. Then I was underweight, then I ballooned and was a UK 16 by 16 years old.

I was always pudgy, always taller than friends (was 5'5 by 11 years old until 12 years old when I stopped growing at 5'6 and they overtook me.

I was quite muscular due to swimming but that's it. I always felt huge, in the way and clumsy though and that contributed to eating problems.

Obviously having worked with families I have seen my fair share of over weight kids and had the conversation numerous times while feeling a total hypocrite for being overweight myself. My kid is on the smaller side of things, short and petite is how the doctors describe him usually. I think he's in proportion and he has fairly low body fat, he has definition in his arms, stomach and chest at 4 years old, he's active and eats a great diet so it's to be expected. I would say out of his nursery of 35 students there are 4 or 5 who are overweight at least, 1 is considerably obese. None have special needs that I am aware of.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm a child of the 1970s and yes we had overweight and obese children back then. I certainly remember a good few in Infants school, Primary and then into Secondary School.
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i can tell ya where they are they are in east tn i swear there are some of the fattest younguns here i have ever seen we are talking 200 lbs 12 yrs olds i work in a grocery store and i see em every day coming in with their obese parents riding the carts to fill it up with little debbies fried pies and donuts its sad and disgusting just prepping em to abuse the system one day also
  • Abbzzz
    Abbzzz Posts: 49
    Options
    We had 1 obese child at our school and a few overweight, not many at all. In my senior years there were a few more obese kids but not as many as you see today. But Mcdonalds and other take away was not as easily accesable back then, now your lucky to travel more than 5 mintues before you hit another store.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I was always natural podgy. I still am, but I put on muscle fast, so I was strong with it, but I was never fat like some children you see today. And teenagers were never fat when I was one. I literally never saw a fat teenager. Teenagers were gawky and colt-like. Now, most of them seem to be overweight.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I was the fat kid in school. It wasn't as common as it is today. I was blessed to go to a very small public school so although there was teasing from time to time it wasn't horrible.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I was overweight starting in about the 5th grade and I wasn't the only one. I know there were others, but I don't know how many. I hit 100lbs when I was 10 years old (90th percentile.) I was over 200lbs my freshman year in high school which was off the charts. I would say maybe 20% of the students were overweight then.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight almost my entire life (I was nearly 10 pounds when I was born!), and I was always the fat kid. If I was lucky there were 1 or 2 other fat kids in my grade to take some of the heat off of me, but that's about it. I was always singled out and picked on because there weren't many others. That wasn't so long ago either! Now my niece is growing up overweight and she's got a higher self esteem than I ever could've hoped to have at her age. Maybe being fat isn't seen as such a big deal to kids anymore? I definitely see A LOT more overweight kids now than when I was a kid.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    This is kind of my personal mission. I was extremely obese as a child. I was 265 when I graduated high school. There has been a huge increase in the last 10-15 years, mostly started when fast food chains started to super size their meals. Now they don't do that so much, but they have dollar menus and really cheap food with large portions.

Couple that with programs like gym and recess being removed from school, less sports to play, and more video games at home and kids today are just less active.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    There were some chubby kids when I was in school (not that long ago! I'm still young!)
    I was never overweight when I was younger, but I was often treated like it, just because I couldn't run as fast as the other kids, they made fun of me.
    I was 11-ish when I start putting on weight, I remember seeing a picture of me starting secondary school (UK) and I cried because of how I looked.

Nowadays, in my area, there still aren't that many children overweight or obese. But there are a lot of adults.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I was a skinny child and my sister was fat. We were both at school at the same time, and there were children of every shape and size. My sister wasn't the largest, but I was among the slimest and we always got called anorexic and stuff even though we weren't. I was always just in the healthy weight to height thing, but I was always eating.
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was a skinny child. I was actually skinny until after I had my second child. The baby weight never came off with her.... and one day I looked up my BMI and I was considered "overweight." I have never been overweight in my life, so I made some changes- foodwise and exercise-wise. A month or two later I found MFP. Now I'm back to a "healthy" BMI. Yippee!

You sound like me.....I wore a size 0-2 in HS weighed 10 yrs later about 125 before getting preggo w/ first child. Wt came off pretty easy w/ him but after my daughter was born I ended up w/ horrible mirgraines for which I had to take meds & I think it made me gain wt & I was a lot more sedentary. I realized when my clothes were getting tight at size 8 & I weighed only 12lbs less than when I delivered my son that I needed to do something. !!
  • hollymcd1027
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you... the pudgy kid, but not obese like some kids are today. I don't remember more than one or two obese kids in my entire 12 years of school.

Of course now that I am sitting here thinking about it, I'm trying to remember if any of the children at my son's day care are really that obese. I can't think of one... granted I don't see them all but they all seem fit and within the normal ranges. So who knows maybe we are just noticing the bigger kids, while all the "normal" ones go unnoticed.....

That's not to say there isn't a problem with raising our kids today to be responsible about their food choices... I'm just not sure if relying on our memories and perceptions is the right way to look at things. I suppose ultimately it does not matter what it was like back in the day when we were kids... the key is to help the kids today! =)
  • Michi63
    Michi63 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use to wear umpire waistline dresses, I was chubby and I am still considered overwieght. I was and continue to be physically active. Children today sit in front of the TV, computer or video game and don't move for hours. It's not just a matter of over-eating, its a matter of inactivity. Parents have a responsibility to get their children outside and away from the TV. Children do not have their own off button, if they did we wouldn't need to parent them.
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    I've seen some programmes on this on the tv, and what I noticed was that in terms of children, what I would consider 'a bit plump' was to my surprise classed as obese! I think maybe we all underestimate the problem of obesity in children - we've all been told I think that it's ok to be a bit plump as a child - puppy fat! When you re-evaluate your standards and look more closely at the kids you see, you may find that more of them are obese than you believed. I also find that in inner cities the children are in general fatter than in more affluent areas - I teach martial arts to kids in a city, but I live in the country and I notice a lot less overweight children where I live rather than where im working. I'm sure theres been analysis done on why that is, but I do find myself feeling very sorry for the kids.

I personally feel that food nutrition and exercise for health and weight control should be taught in all secondary school as a compulsory core subject - all kids should be leaving school with a sound knowledge of nutrition and how to feed themselves and their family, plus the NEED for REGULAR cardio exercise to be a constant part of everyone's lives. Until this happens I cannot see ant change being made to the obesity epidemic we are facing. Rant for the day over!
  • RedPlanetClaire
    Options
    Kids are fatter these days and parents are softer. When I was a child, I ate what I was given, the same as adults. Whereas many parents these days cook different meals for their children, usually junk as the kids refuse to eat healthy food. Also, when I was a child, chocolate was a treat that I received on special occasions, now children have it as snacks daily.

Being overweight is more socially acceptable as more people are fat, so they goal posts have been moved.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I classed myself as overweight when I was a child. My daughter is classed as obese. She is 5 and 55lbs. Saying this she is the height of an average 7year old. We have monitered her since she was under 2 and had thyroid tests and Prada Willi tests done on her and metabolic tests etc. We now don't weigh her and consistently watch what she eats but try not to let her know. She exercises regularly, ie dancing and swimming and walking to and from school. My other 2 are both of normal weight. I am hoping she will slim out when I did at around 9/10 years old. She is very healthy and I really don't want her getting an eating disorder (of which I suffered Anorexia/bulimia. I used to think it was the parents fault but now experiencing it myself don't think that way anymore, well not for all anyway :-(! Her diet is very healthy too but she does have treats occasionally
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I am 16 years out of secondary (High) school and I don't remember there being many overweight girls at all.

We had comulsory PE lessons 3 times per week (one of these sessions lasted the whole morning and we were taken to a nearby leisure centre where we did a term of rock climbing, a term of ice skating, a term of trampolining - they kept it very interesting for us all)

Until I was early 20's I was as slim as anything.

A combination of an office job, going out to eat and drink ALOT with friends and taking the contraceptive pill meant I went from being a petite 20 year old to a 25 year old who was 41lbs overweight !!

I lost all the excess weight, then put half of it back on again due to the simple fact I ate too much and exercised too little.

I know that for many people there are medical factors involved but my experience is this - as soon as I stoppped being very active I gained weight!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I only graduated high school a year ago. But I was definitely overweight (slightly obese for a bit) and there were certainly people who were much fatter than me. I weighed over 100lbs in the third grade but I never thought i was fat, just big.