What were you doing that was holding back your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Bad logging. Any time I've not lost weight it was due to sloppy logging or not logging.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Not logging binges. Self: Where did this gain come from? From the extra thousands of calories you didn't track, duh.

Opening my diary helped, as did seeing those big red numbers.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've never unknowingly stopped losing. I might think I've been consistent then I look back at my diary and nope. My bad.
  • nicholerohrer
    nicholerohrer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Food scale. My estimating was WAY off. lol
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I cut calories and increased my workouts.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Bought a food scale. Starting weighing everything and logging faithfully, staying within my calorie allowance. Boom! Weight loss.

This ^^
    A thousand times this.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I quickly figured out that I had gotten a little lazy in my logging and whatnot...grabbing little bites here and there that I wasn't before and not logging it 'cuz it's just a little bite, etc...that stuff adds up.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Being more sedentary than sedentary.
    Miss Sloth, that was me- especially in winter.
    Just getting off my skinny butt and putting the book down worked wonders.

Cheers, h.

:'( Putting the book down is never the right answer. (JK, but books are one of my favorite things!)

Ugh, sad but true.

I'd NEVER put books down if I didn't have to, LOL.

So I walk, and I work out, and I do all my other stuff, and then I read at night...in the bathtub...while waiting for appointments...it can be done but gosh life stinks when you're forced to put down a good book. :D #unfair
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Flagged for spam?! Really?

People misflag all the time. If you Flag > Report > Other and comment "Misflagged for Spam" a mod should eventually take care of it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    What help me back was blaming various OHs for what I was choosing to eat.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Believing somehow it was more than just calories in caloried out. That i had to cut out all yummy foods to lose weight which had me on a restrict and binge cycle my whole life
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Believing somehow it was more than just calories in caloried out. That i had to cut out all yummy foods to lose weight which had me on a restrict and binge cycle my whole life

^^^^^ This was me, too, for a very long time. I also labored under the wrong impression that you could out-work a bad diet, which kept me 20-30 pounds overweight for a long time, until I stopped being so active and it got to more like 50+ pounds. Now, I know better, and I understand there are no short cuts, nothing off is limits, it's all down to CI<CO at the end of the day, and exercise is for fitness and fun, not weight control or to 'earn' food.
  • carpe_vinum
    carpe_vinum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I added too many carbs! I am low carb, so am working to find the perfect balance for my body.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For me, it was snacking every time I got in the car - and I'm on the road a lot. I didn't eat all that much at meals, so I was under the impression I didn't eat much. It wasn't until I started looking at all those little snacks that I realized where all my calories were coming from.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I ate badly. First I spent some time thinking I was eating healthily just because I avoided junk food and fast food, but used so many of my 1300 calories on simple carbs - bread, jelly, sugar, juice. Then I'd eat my mom's cooking, which was none too healthy, and to keep from underestimating what I was eating, I'd get a small portion and estimate it at 500-600 something cals, almost half of all my cals. Then I'd wonder why I was starving, found it hard to stick to my diet, and stuffed my face to maintenance or a bit over twice a week. Then I'd schedule cheat days where Id eat all the junk I'd avoided all week, and not count calories for any of it.
    Then I started eating junk all the time. I counted my cals, but didn't make myself eat treats moderately. I'd buy large packages of junk and tell myself I'd only eat XYZ amount, but would end up eating too much of it, being hungry because I'd spent so many cals on garbage, then overeating, then overeating some more.
    Thirdly, I hadn't begun to really understand willpower.
    Now I make sure to eat my protein and fruits and veggies and have lost 10 of the lbs I'd regained and 10 more. 60 to go. :)
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I guess there could be only one reason: I was eating more calories then I was burning.

Why I was doing that?

I guess because I was lacking knowledge about calories in common foods. I was familiar with every single nutrition subculture from paleo to vegan, low carb, high carb, low protein, high protein, low fat, high fat, you name it, but at the end of the day I didn't have the clue how much I had eaten that day nor how much I have spent.
    I think I spent more time last few years researching about nutrition then on my professional fields, and yet somehow it was hard for me to accept that simple CICO(calorie in calorie out).

I am not saying that it's true for every single person. You might have a disease that makes harder to loose weight, but before assuming anything, I would recommend just trying simple old CICO for few weeks.
    I know many women with hypothyroidism or PCOS that have successfully lost weight and even improved their symptoms.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Guesstimating my food/portion sizes and calories for way too long. I was swearing every day I was eating only about 1,300 calories a day, but when I weighed everything one day (to prove to myself I was eating fine and it was something else causing the issues) I discovered to my horror I was eating way over 4,000 a day most days. And checking labels too!!! A lot of the low calorie things I was buying were really high in salt which caused me to retain water and made me very bloated.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Not logging. I'm horrible at eyeballing portions, so every time I would stop logging for a while, I would put weight back on. The other problem I had, which I didn't realize for a long time is that eating breakfast makes me ravenously hungry all day long. Once I stopped eating breakfast, even without logging, I still consumed less calories in a day because I wasn't as hungry.