Soreness After Exercise

Options
So I have recently begun working out with a trainer because I am trying to get serious about changing my life. My big issue is every time I start a new program I get very, very sore. I know this is normal because I am using muscles I don't usually use, but it makes it very difficult for me to keep up with a program long-term. My question for you all is this: What is the best way to deal with this soreness and how long should I expect it to last? thank you for your input

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If you're too sore to continue after 2-3 days, you're probably doing too much too soon. Scale it back until soreness only lasts a few days, and isn't so bad that you can't workout anyway. I'm usually sore a day or two after lifting, but it doesn't keep me from doing my next workout.
  • ElphabaWeasley
    ElphabaWeasley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is day 2 after the workout. I have another scheduled tomorrow morning and I am afraid I won't be able to do it, then again a night's sleep does amazing things so I guess I will see. I appreciate ya'lls feedback. I haven't really been able to straighten my arms out at all and moving past a 90 degree angle at my elbows is agony. Yesterday was definitely worse though, so hopefully I can do what I need to do tomorrow.
  • Ciera247Zumba
    Ciera247Zumba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Work on recovery strategies as well. Ensure you do an adequate warm up, including dynamic stretches. Post-workout be sure to stretch thoroughly, static stretches. As well as try foam rolling!!! Super helpful for recovery and reducing lactic acid build up. Drink a lot of water constantly too. I also stretch before sleep every day, relaxing and helps reduce soresness. Don't give up!
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Foam roll, protein after your workout, warm baths/showers to relax your muscles, stretch and sleep well. Build this into your routine to manage DOMS. I love my foam roller, it hurts but in a really good way. If you're still feeling sore 3 or 4 days after, after doing your routine for a few weeks, you're doing too much and your muscles can't repair properly. Sometimes I do something new and have a tightness that last up to a week, gradually getting better. I just make sure to give that muscle a rest and work others until it's better.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I started lifting again and just finished the first week...I was sore the entire time. Lol. Foam roll, protein, all that good stuff. It'll go away after a couple days to a week.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Don't forget light-moderate full body cardio on recovery days. I personally prefer the elliptical to jogging or walking when I get DOMS.
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to get very sore so on those days would cut back on how much intensity I was on, now I don't get sore where my body is used too it so find I'm increasing the intensity. Warm bath and extra protein helped me
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Many trainers think they are doing good by making people sore so that it feels like they (the client) is getting a good workout. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but other times it can be overly done. Tell him you are sore and see if he can adjust your workout
  • ElphabaWeasley
    ElphabaWeasley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice guys! I really appreciate it!