Hitting 1,200cal.

Kew5
Kew5 Posts: 2 Member
Can I please have a few samples/examples of a daily food intake of 1200 calories? Im finding it very hard to hit 1200cal without going over in other areas. I'm lucky to hit 900-1000 calories a day at the moment and I burn 300-400cal 6 days a week which is getting me nowhere on the scales for obvious reasons.. TY

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    What are the obvious reasons? Look at my day. cut out the dessert and 100 calories from dinner. It's extremely easy.
  • Kew5
    Kew5 Posts: 2 Member
    The obvious reasons being that whilst I'm burning 300-400cal a day, 6 days a week, I still struggle to eat anything above 800-900cals on a daily basis when I should be hitting 1200cal per day according to my goals. (I calculated my daily intake incorrectly in my oroginal post).
    I struggle to find a healthy and managable eating routine/meal plan which makes me unintentionally deprive myself in the process which is stopping me from losing the weight.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Why don't you open your diary so people can suggest additions/modifications to your meals? One way to get more calories is to use full fat products instead of lowfat or nonfat. Add a tablespoon of butter or olive oil to your food, perhaps a salad dressing or marinade. Eat a couple ounces of chocolate. What were you eating prior to trying to lose weight...it probably was more than 1000 calories.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    chia seeds, at 70.cal a tablespoon, has protein, fiber, calcium, iron, n omega 3
    add to anything u eat
    4 tablespoons is 280 cal
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That MFP goal of 1200 calories - that was with a day with NO exercise expected.

You are using the program wrong - and have some ideas wrong about what is required for weight loss.

Be very concerned if that really is your calorie burn for the exercise - I doubt it greatly if it's been over 2 weeks doing this routine of eating levels.

Also be very concerned if you don't feel hungry anymore and can't even eat up to 1200.

Unless your food logging is almost dishonest with yourself and you are eating much much more.

Because if eating at that level, with that amount of exercise - what happens if you get sick for a week, or injured (very likely), or increased family responsibilities or crazy schedule - and you can't exercise.

Now how low do you think you should eat to not gain weight while a whole lot less active.

Weight loss (hopefully just fat loss if your mind is right) should be obtained eating as much as you possibly can - not as little as you possibly can.

If you think less is better - then just stop eating until you have lost the desired weight.
    That will likely get you in the hospital faster to get the real issues addressed.

Just trying to be frank - because sometimes true help is NOT encouraging you to do more of the same.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Kew5 wrote: »
    The obvious reasons being that whilst I'm burning 300-400cal a day, 6 days a week, I still struggle to eat anything above 800-900cals on a daily basis when I should be hitting 1200cal per day according to my goals. (I calculated my daily intake incorrectly in my oroginal post).
    I struggle to find a healthy and managable eating routine/meal plan which makes me unintentionally deprive myself in the process which is stopping me from losing the weight.

If you're eating as little as you think you are, you would be losing weight (albeit in a very unhealthy way) - as for your "obvious reasons" depriving yourself of food doesn't make you hold on to weight, that's a diet myth, long term dieting can cause Adaptive Thermogenesis but that's not going to happen in 2 weeks and it doesn't stop you from losing weight, it just slows down your metabolism and in turn makes weight loss progress slower than expected.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited May 2017
    beanz744 wrote: »
    chia seeds, at 70.cal a tablespoon, has protein, fiber, calcium, iron, n omega 3
    add to anything u eat
    4 tablespoons is 280 cal
    Just for the record, in the UK, it's recommended that adults consume no more than 15 grams of chia seeds a day, which about three spoonfuls. I admit that nutritional guidelines magically change across national borders, :/ but the more you know, right?

It's because they are highly absorbent, and dry seeds will happily absorb water inside your body, too, which can lead to ill-effects if you consume significant quantities of chia seeds. I'm not saying they're poisonous- I eat chia seeds regularly, but I do keep it to 15g, and always follow the meal with an extra glass of water.

• ankachinu
    ankachinu Posts: 23 Member
    1200 is supposed to be the NET calories.
    I am following a similar routine.
    I burn around 300-400 cal daily but I try my best to get those calories back in my diet. So that means I try to consume around 1500.
    I mostly snack on boiled eggs and walnuts. I have also started having pure sugarcane juice which is approx 180 calories ( helps my craving for coke and other extra artificial sugar drinks)
    I also go for homemade peanut butter with a slice of whole wheat bread half an hour before workout, approx 130 calories
  • ankachinu
    ankachinu Posts: 23 Member

I completely understand that many a times we are not able to follow a proper routine leading us to unintentionally eating less, even if eating healthy we don't hit the calorie target.

While I used to eat junk I could sometimes hit the target in only one sitting of meal, but now with all the veggies and lean meat getting that target needs planning food in advance.

But do make sure to get the hints your body tells you.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member

Eating that few calories you should definitely be losing weight. (BTW, you should not be eating less than 1200 calories).
    Are you weighing and measuring your food accurately? Overestimating your calorie burn from exercise?
    How long have you been at this? How much do you have to lose? Do you have any health issues that would make losing weight more difficult?

Perhaps you should talk to your health care professional about your concerns.
  • Leboo74
    Leboo74 Posts: 30 Member
    I am having trouble losing also. I thought maybe I was cutting too many calories(1000),so for a few days I added 200 to 400 calories. I continued my cardio. Gained 2 pounds. The calories I added were sugar and carb free. Mostly protien and veggies.
  • Christian_Cudo
    Christian_Cudo Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2017
    I am having trouble losing also. I thought maybe I was cutting too many calories(1000),so for a few days I added 200 to 400 calories. I continued my cardio. Gained 2 pounds. The calories I added were sugar and carb free. Mostly protien and veggies.

Your calories are extremely low. What is your body weight and your height?
  • Leboo74
    I weigh 187 as of this morning, I'm 5'5. That's why I increased calories. Still no loss. I'm 43.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017

You didn't gain 2 pounds of fat unless you ate 7,000 calories over your maintenance.....1200 is not your maintenance.

Have you added new or different exercise? 2 pounds could easily be temporary water weight from sore muscles. High sodium? water weight. Time of month? water weight.

Low carb diets can often result in water weight loss (glycogen stores). When you eat carbs again, you gain the water back.

Don't take one or two weigh-ins too seriously.

Calorie dense foods - nuts, nut butter, avocado, olive oil, full fat dairy. Make sure you are measuring portions correctly and picking accurate database entries (there are many crappy entries in there).
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member

You don't increase your calories to lose weight. It's the opposite.
  • Leboo74
    Yeah but when I was eating 1000 everyone said to increase. I was snacking on nuts but cut that out bc of the high calories.
  • Leboo74
    One person says one thing. An article I'll read says the opposite. I'm confused and getting frustrated. I'm eating way less and moving way more than my past sedintary and junk food lifestyle. Seems like it should be working.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Google "1200 calorie day meal plans" and you'll find a bunch. Like this one

http://doityourselfdietplans.com/free-1200-calorie-diet-menu/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    One person says one thing. An article I'll read says the opposite. I'm confused and getting frustrated. I'm eating way less and moving way more than my past sedintary and junk food lifestyle. Seems like it should be working.

Weight loss is calorie deficit....period.

Food you log are calories in. Logging is imperfect. MFP has bad entries. A digital food scale is going to be more accurate for measuring solids & semi solids.

Calories out - this is not just exercise. There are devices to help calculate estimates for this number. That said, your TDEE is an estimate of the number of calories you use everyday. Take a cut from this number, you lose weight. This is the same for everybody.

This flowchart sums it all up nicely.........
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1
  • Leboo74
    TDEE IS 1700