Shin splints

angebean
angebean Posts: 195 Member
My shins have been killing me lately. I do a lot of dancing and jumping in my Zumba classes. I have tried to stretch really good before and after to avoid them or make them less painful. Any suggestions?

Replies

• szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Ice them, it helps a lot. When we had them in track we had to put our entire leg up to the knee in an ice bucket for 20 mins before going to run.
  • angebean
    You did it before, not after?
  • mrmcgowan
    mrmcgowan Posts: 3
    I teach Zumba and have had shin splints before. First thing you need to make sure you have the right shoes and they are not too old. Old shoes are prime suspects for shin splints. If you have new shoes and you still have shin splints, try an insole insert. I use the Dr. Scholl's custom inserts in my shoes and they work amazing. Still try to stretch them out really good and try to ice them after if they are still hurting. I hope this helps :)
  • mjh5141
    mjh5141 Posts: 47
    The cause of shin splints varies from person to person. As has been said, your two best solutions are proper shoes and ice. For example, I have really flat feet and tend to over-pronate, so I need shoes that compensate for that. A lot of people have no idea if their feet have high or low arches, so it's important to go to a store that will properly fit you for the right pair of shoes.

Also, try running on a different surface. Concrete and asphalt are very very unforgiving and send a lot more shock up your legs than a dirt trail or even a treadmill (assuming it's a decent, not ancient treadmill).

Unfortunately, I think I need to get re-fitted. I just tried to go running outside (on concrete...) and before I even hit one mile, my shins were done. And now I'm paying for it.
  • angebean
    Thanks ladies! I also teach Zumba classes =)

I am going to ice them after each class and try the shoe insert. I have newer shoes, so I don't think that's the issue, but if the icing and insert don't work, I will prob try a new pair of shoes!

Have a great day and thanks again
  • Sirchunx
    Sirchunx Posts: 24 Member
    I didn't see anyone mention this yet. Shin splints are also a product of your calves being a lot strong than the front muscles of your shin. You can strengthen your shin muscles by walking around on your heels with your toes in the air. You can also sit on a table's edge and loop a bucket with weight in it around your toes, then flexing your toes toward the ceiling.(kinda like a toe bicep curl, lol) Any action you can do during the day that fires the shin muscles will strengthen them.

I was a sprinter in track for a stretch and this is really what got rid of shin sprints for me permanently.
  • angebean
    Thanks Sirchunx. I was wondering about the muscles myself. I stretch my calves quite a bit before and after, but I will def give the strenthening the front side a try!