Constipation

Options
I'm new here and was wondering if you guys have some tips about what I should do for constipation. I completely cut out my bad eating habits 5 weeks ago. I'm eating fruits and vegetables but sometimes I dont go to the bathroom for two days. Then when I do it's not "easy" lol for lack of a better word.

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking protein shakes? I've heard some people complain about it and that being the culprit. Too many bananas?
  • soccerjerseyguy
    soccerjerseyguy Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Protein supplements can do this, so you have to be careful you don't over-use them. Try increasing the intake of some oils (olive oil, etc) on your greens, this may solve the problem.

I take psyllium every couple days mixed with water to keep things moving, it's very effective. This may be TMI, but you will soon figure out how long it takes to "work", so you have to sometimes be careful of when you take it so you don't have a "situation" where there is no restroom handy. PLAN AHEAD if you know what I mean LOL.

Last tip: Don't take the psyllium within 3-4 hours of the oils, because the oil will simply get sucked up, and then neither works as desired in my experience.
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Nope! I actually don't eat bananas they make me feel bloated. And I've not had any protein shakes yet.
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. :D
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've just had this issue for the past 2 weeks. It was torture!! I have some issues with IBS also which doesnt help. Yesterday I bought some probiotics and took 2 Ultra Absorbent Magnesium last night. Lets just say I now feel great!!!
  • BWA468
    Options
    I tried to go over my goal of fibre last week to help and it made it worse.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Fruit should help with this. Also try Metamucil.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I bet you cut out a lot of your carbs and fats. For me sometimes only bulk will do. Try several cups of air popped popcorn.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Nothing gets things going for me faster than brussel sprouts. I always keep a frozen bag in my freezer for "emergencies". :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nothing gets things going for me faster than brussel sprouts. I always keep a frozen bag in my freezer for "emergencies". :smiley:

Blah I'd have to be plugged up for a week before I'd resort to eating brussel sprouts :sick: :wink:

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Have you tracked your fiber intake? You can do that in the "Reports" section of this site. Fruits and vegetables have fiber, but it varies - some aren't very high. Beans and whole grains are usually pretty high, though.
  • BWA468
    Options
    Saturday night I was at my worst of being 'blocked up' and had cabbage and broccoli for dinner thinking it would help. I bloated so bad I looked 3 months pregnant and felt even worse. It did nothing except load me up with air/gas which I could not get rid of. It hurt and was really uncomfortable. Some people dont react well to having more fibre so if that doesnt work go for the Magnesium or if desperate for a quick fix, some Microlax!
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me it was because I am eating less, so there is less to poo!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I had this issue a couple years ago. Upping my fiber (a lot) is what helped. I bought that fiber one cereal (the kind that looks like cat food) and ate that every morning. A cup had 26 g of fiber or something like that. Also drink lots of water. Protein shakes/bars also Would stop me up so I avoid them.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I also agree with magnesium. But sometimes the form you take can make a difference. I used to take magnesium pills all the time, and they never did anything for me, and I had chronic constipation. I tried a powdered version. It's called Natural Vitality natural calm. I get the raspberry lemon flavor. It's so good. It works great.
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would give an overnight stool softener a try, should help out quite a bit.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Did you cut a lot of fat from your diet? Cutting your fat too low can also result in constipation regardless of the amount of fiber you consume. Fat works as a lubricant for body waste.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    In addition to the 3 F's that @Christine_72 mentioned (Fiber, Fat, Fluids). Activity can sometimes help too. I go on a long road trip and that really backs me up.