Crock pot meals. Help

Options
kristinmkartist
kristinmkartist Posts: 119 Member
I get off work every night now at 6pm which totally sucks butt. I need new ideas that I can put into a crock pot and just let it cook. I am praying you all have wonderful ideas for me to try! Thanks so much!

Replies

• woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Take a whole 4 lbs chicken, 1 bottle chicken cooking stock, 2 cups water, 2 servings of baby carrots, 2 chopped celery stalks, 10 pearl onions, 12 baby red potatoes.

leave in crock pot for 8-10 hrs. Meat is tender.... fair warning the bird does fall apart.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Some of our favorites:
    Taco soup- Can of tomato sauce, can of corn, can of black beans, can of kidney beans, taco seasoning, lean ground beef (I think turkey might work, too), small can of green chiles. Throw it in and cook on low 8 hours.

We also like Salsa Chicken (you can find tons of recipes for it online). Hope that helps a little!
  • kristinmkartist
    Options
    Taco Soup you just eat that alone?
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    One of my friends introduced me to this Facebook page, then I found the actual website and I'm in love with it. If you go to the website, click on recipes, she's got an entire section dedicated to crock pot recipes. Hope that helps!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    1 chicken breast
    1 can black beans
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1 can jalapeno peppers sliced
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 chopped onion
    chili powder to taste
    Cover the raw chicken with all canned items
    6-8 hours on low
    Chicken will be tender, shred with fork and mix all together.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    you can bake a chicken in the crock pot. Roasts. chili, taco meat, the possibilities are endless. :) Love my crock pot and it will help you to have dinner ready when you get home. Consider putting all your ingredients together in the pot and leave it in the fridge and it will be ready to go in the morning if you're running late.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Some of our favorites:
    Taco soup- Can of tomato sauce, can of corn, can of black beans, can of kidney beans, taco seasoning, lean ground beef (I think turkey might work, too), small can of green chiles. Throw it in and cook on low 8 hours.

We also like Salsa Chicken (you can find tons of recipes for it online). Hope that helps a little!
    That sounds like my black bean chili, but with taco seasonings, hmmm....will try that. Thanks
  • Sarahdangerfox
    Options
    I love doing turkey chili (Carol Shelby's seasoning kit is my favorite)...ground turkey, kidney beans, chopped kale (it's so easy to sneak a ton of veggies into chili!), a few cans of tomatoes, extra cumin and garlic and you're good to go. Suuuuper tasty!

I also love doing curries in the crock pot- Trader Joes' has a ton of jarred curry simmer sauces which are great, but I like making my own too. Throw in some chicken breasts, garlic, coconut, carrots, onions, and squash with a can of chicken broth, a generous helping of curry powder, chili powder and ginger.

Pulled pork or chicken is a great way to go too. Throw in a pork butt with some onions, liquid smoke, a can of coke, a bay leaf, some cumin, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper. Pull it apart with a fork and use it in tacos or fajitas, serve it over bulgur wheat with some of the drippings, throw it in your chili or make soup with it. Also great to throw in a wrap or sandwich for lunch the next day. Yummo!
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Easy Pulled Pork:

1 whole pork butt
    BBQ rub of your choice
    few dashes liquid smoke
    bottle apple juice

Rub BBQ seasoning all over pork butt. Put in Crockpot. Add few dashes of liquid smoke and then fill 1/2 way with apple juice. Let cook 8-10 hours (longer the better). Remove meat from liquid and shred by hand (meat should be falling apart). Serve on buns with BBQ sauce of choice.

The finished shredded meat freezes really well, so don't worry about the amount of leftovers. :smile:
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I have for "salsa chicken" and my family loves it......

Salsa Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced (low) sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle it with taco seasoning, then pour salsa and soup over the chicken.
    Turn heat to low and cook 6-8 hours. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Serve over rice. (rice not included in nutritional info below)
    Makes 4 servings.

Per serving:
    calories 160
    total fat 5 grams
    saturated fat 3 grams
    cholesterol 54 milligrams
    sodium 537 milligrams
    carbohydrates 9 grams
    dietary fiber 1 gram
    protein 18 grams
  • sadielane
    sadielane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite slow cooker recipes (from Allrecipes.com if you want to see the full nutritional info)

Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
    Ingredients
    1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
    1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups water
    1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    7 corn tortillas
    vegetable oil
    Directions
    1.Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
    2.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    3.Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
    4.Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.

Makes 8 servings

Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 262 | Total Fat: 10.8g | Cholesterol: 46mg

And Sweet and Tangy Chicken
    Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
    2 (18 ounce) bottles barbeque sauce
    1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    Directions
    1.In a large bowl, mix together barbecue sauce, pineapple with juice, green bell pepper, onion, and garlic.
    2.Arrange 4 of the chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Pour half of the barbecue sauce over the chicken. Place remaining chicken in slow cooker, and pour remaining sauce over the top.
    3.Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 349 | Total Fat: 2.8g | Cholesterol: 61mg

I usually serve this over rice (or brown rice)
  • kristinmkartist
    Options
    You guys are so awesome!!!!! I am writing all of these down and super excited to just put stuff in the crock pot while I am at work.

We do cold pork on the grill never thought about the crock pot. We cook ours on grill for like 12 hours and its so tender and omg its just so good.

Thanks again!!!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love the recipes on this website: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/02/foil-packet-tilapia-crockpot-recipe.html

They are sorted by main ingredient (clickable list on the left sidebar) so you can find a bunch of ideas for whatever you have in the fridge. My favorites from here so far are the peanut butter pork tenderloin, the hirino psito, and the foil-wrapped tilapia.

I also like this recipe:

Pear/Fennel Chicken Thighs

ingredients
    • 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
    • 2 6- to 7-ounce jars (drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained
    • 1/2 cup coarsely snipped dried pears
    • 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, finely ground
    • 2-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    • 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    • 1 cup pear nectar or apple juice (I use white wine, since I think the juice makes this too sweet)
    • Hot cooked couscous or rice
    • Fennel tops (optional)
    directions
    1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine sliced fennel, mushrooms, and dried pears. Sprinkle with tapioca. Add chicken thighs; sprinkle with salt, thyme, and pepper. Pour pear nectar (or wine) over mixture in cooker.
    2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
    3. Serve chicken mixture with hot cooked couscous. If desired, garnish with fennel tops. Makes 6 servings.
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    bump