High fat but still under daily calorie limit

Options
If I eat something that is extremely high in fat and puts me over my daily limit of 33 grams of fat but is only 1/3 my daily calorie intake, will I still lose weight if I eat the rest of my calories and go over my fat limit? Also how does high fat intake affect the body?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Low fat and very low calorie diets affects the body in a number of negative ways. High fat does not, as long as you're not exceeding calorie goal/getting too little of other nutrients. Why do you have such a low fat goal and such a low calorie goal?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ^This.

Your daily fat intake is far too low.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Good science indicates that following a HIIT exercise session with a meal of 50% fat causes the body to burn high calories for several more hours after the exercise session has ended.

There's no need at all to retain your fear of fat.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Good science indicates that following a HIIT exercise session with a meal of 50% fat causes the body to burn high calories for several more hours after the exercise session has ended.

Can you provide a citation for that?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    33 g of fat is 297 calories. If that's one third of your intake, you are eating way too little.

Other than that, eating higher fat doesn't really matter (unless you have a specific medical condition), unless you: (1) go over calories (I mean a reasonable calorie limit, not an artificially low one), (2) struggle to feel satisfied on what you are eating, (3) don't get enough protein, (4) don't eat a decent amount of vegetables, or (5) mostly get that fat from less nutritious sources -- it's good to focus on sources like fatty fish, avocado, seeds and nuts, olives and olive oil, maybe coconut and eggs, stuff like that, although no hard from including other sources in your diet too (I eat dairy and meat and enjoy it).

Of the list above, (1) is about weight loss, and to some extent so is (2), the rest are about nutrition.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Can you provide a citation for that?

I'd be interested in that too. Everything I've read suggests that post workout you want carbs to help with recovery/restore glycogen (and that too much fat can interfere with this if recovering for a workout or using the insulin spike for muscle building is the goal) plus protein to help build/repair muscles. Basing this largely on reading about weight training plus a triathlon training group I used to be in.

I mostly ignore it since I have no reason to worry about meal timing and am eating a higher fat/lower carb diet now anyway, but would like the citation.
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Stay within your calorie limits and you will lose weight. "Fat does not make you fat" and there is plenty of research to support this.

If I eat an avocado and some peanut butter in the same day, I will blow past by fat goal for the day after eating all of my meals. It's nothing worth freaking out about; healthy fats are good for you :smile:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Here's a discussion, with cites, but it's not the one I first saw upon which I base my statement. https://www.acefitness.org/prosourcearticle/6091/could-epoc-help-solve-the-obesity-epidemic

Here's a good cite that is similar to the one I'm looking for.
    http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/306/9/E1093./?a_aid=648794101

I still haven't found The Cite I was looking for, but I'm going to get back to work for now.

I'll leave with the anecdote that since I read that, I've been including a small meal of bread and peanut butter in each of my daily food plans. I created a meal named "Post Exercise Meal". Whether I exercise or not in the evening, that small meal, which does work out to 50% fat, is the last thing I eat. I'm a data nerd. In the few months I've been doing this, I see 1) No evidence that it's not true, and 2) Real evidence that it is true.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    The second one (which is the one with a study) isn't about post-exercise meals but overall calories, unless I am misreading it.

I mostly just eat a meal after exercise -- I exercise before one of my three meals almost always and don't add meals/snacks just because of exercise -- so like I said ignore most of this stuff, but if you do find the cite you are thinking of I'd love it if you'd post it. I'm always interested in something new, even if not relevant to me.
  • YouGotThis435
    YouGotThis435 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Low fat and very low calorie diets affects the body in a number of negative ways. High fat does not, as long as you're not exceeding calorie goal/getting too little of other nutrients. Why do you have such a low fat goal and such a low calorie goal?

Thats just what MPF set me at. I literally never pay attention to it though because I generally don't care. I don't know anything about how much fat a person should a day, the only reason why I thought I might have to worry is because all of this fat is coming from junk food. But im super happy to know I can eat a lot more fat than that! Thank god!

• YouGotThis435
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    33 g of fat is 297 calories. If that's one third of your intake, you are eating way too little.

Other than that, eating higher fat doesn't really matter (unless you have a specific medical condition), unless you: (1) go over calories (I mean a reasonable calorie limit, not an artificially low one), (2) struggle to feel satisfied on what you are eating, (3) don't get enough protein, (4) don't eat a decent amount of vegetables, or (5) mostly get that fat from less nutritious sources -- it's good to focus on sources like fatty fish, avocado, seeds and nuts, olives and olive oil, maybe coconut and eggs, stuff like that, although no hard from including other sources in your diet too (I eat dairy and meat and enjoy it).

Of the list above, (1) is about weight loss, and to some extent so is (2), the rest are about nutrition.

Ok my math is a little or a lot off (idk I suck at math) im getting at least 1,200 calories a day. Thanks! This was super helpful!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I read on a uk gov nutrition site that up to 60 grams of fat a day is ok. Its fine if you emd the day with more than what mfp recommends as far as weight loss goes. Just as long as you come in around your calorie goal for the day. Unless you have familial cholesterol issues, which I hope you don't, you probably can eat as much as you want of fat. I go for the 'healthy kind' as mentioned by lemurcat above. It seems there have been a lot of studies on fat, but as yet health organizations for governments still have recommendations for lower saturated fat and much lower recommendations against certain fats that are found in packaged baked goods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

@YouGotThis435 I see in another thread that you lost 15 pounds in two months and are only 8 pounds away from goal. With this little to lose, you are losing too quickly. Set your weight loss goal for a half a pound per week and eat more of everything, including fat.

I plugged in your stats from your other thread and get 1,490 Calories / Day. With the MFP default macro of 30% fat, this gives you 50 g of fat/day.

Here's some info on what's considered Low, Moderate, and High Fat diets. There are plenty of posters here who have success with LCHF, and I suspect they are eating more that 45% fat, but perhaps they will come on here and clarify. @nvmomketo

http://psychologyofeating.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/
  • YouGotThis435
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@YouGotThis435 I see in another thread that you lost 15 pounds in two months and are only 8 pounds away from goal. With this little to lose, you are losing too quickly. Set your weight loss goal for a half a pound per week and eat more of everything, including fat.

I plugged in your stats from your other thread and get 1,490 Calories / Day. With the MFP default macro of 30% fat, this gives you 50 g of fat/day.

Here's some info on what's considered Low, Moderate, and High Fat diets. There are plenty of posters here who have success with LCHF, and I suspect they are eating more that 45% fat, but perhaps they will come on here and clarify. @nvmomketo

http://psychologyofeating.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check it out. But I lost the 15 lbs a year ago, been in a cycle of gaining and losing 4 of that 15 lbs over this past year and now just at a point where im serious about losing the last 8 lbs.