okay so i need as many opinions as possible

Options
after posting in another topic, i realized that i needed some advice of my own. i'm 5'7" and weighing in at 146 right now. i've heard from many of my mfp friends that the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose...considering i want to get down to at least 135, i feel like the nature of my goal is a difficult one already. for the people who have broken through their 10 pounds, what exactly did you do? eating wise? exercise wise? i'm going to the gym 7 days a week, 2 times a day sometimes, and i've been toying around with my calories (i.e. eating back exercise cals, eating half, eating none). just trying to get others' perspectives on this..

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 145 is a fantasy goal - is it very hard to get to 136?
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    Set yourself at 125 mentally and then be happy when you've reached 135! The mental buffer really helps - I work in kg, but my MFP goal is/was to get to 65kg, but I knew that I would be happy with anything under 70kg. I'm now at 67/68kg, so the pressure's off and anything more is a bonus!

Oh, and I'm 5'7" too. :-D
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have learned patience is a virtue. You really may be working out a bit to much, how long do you go each time? Your body needs at least 2 days a week of rest and make sure you are eating enough of the right foods to fuel your body. Food is just that fuel for your body. You should be doing weight training along with cardio muscles help to burn more calories.
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What is your BMI? What does your doctor say? I like the idea of setting your goal mentally to 125. I may use that for myself, as I tend to think, oh, I'm close enough since I only have 5 more lbs to lose till my goal. Then it gets hard to lose that 5 lbs cause I feel like I'm close enough!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    after posting in another topic, i realized that i needed some advice of my own. i'm 5'7" and weighing in at 146 right now. i've heard from many of my mfp friends that the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose...considering i want to get down to at least 135, i feel like the nature of my goal is a difficult one already. for the people who have broken through their 10 pounds, what exactly did you do? eating wise? exercise wise? i'm going to the gym 7 days a week, 2 times a day sometimes, and i've been toying around with my calories (i.e. eating back exercise cals, eating half, eating none). just trying to get others' perspectives on this..

I'm also 5'7" and currently at 137. 135 would be nice, but I'm not complaining about 137! I didn't have any plateaus on the way down, although I had 12 days at the same weight (140) which is not really a plateau but was a surprise.

I switched my goal to losing a half pound per week and got more serious about my exercise (joined a gym when I had a bout 10 pounds left, rather than running a half hour a few times per week). I do cardio 3-5 times per week for 45 minutes and take a yoga or Pilates class once a week. I do some simple resistance exercises twice a week with dumbells at home. Once in awhile I take a BodyPump class (cardio and weights) just to stave off boredom.

As I think MFP grossly overestimates calorie burns, I've always eaten back half my exercise calories.

ETA: Saw you asked about diet: All along, I've tried to keep my carbs around 100g per day and my protein also around 100g per day.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i hope 136 isn't impossible lol, but i have seen some amazing success stories on here so i know that it's doable..my workouts consist of arm/leg circuit training on alternating days, 20-30 min of cardio and a 10-15 ab workout. i'm eating plenty but do you have any suggestions on what i should incorporate into my diet? i also do the protein shakes
  • kyleeann15
    kyleeann15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It definitely is a good idea to take a rest to break through plateaus. I was just going through one of my own and I was not being a very good girl about getting to the gym for about a week. My goal weight is 145 right now (I would like to eventually be down to 135) and I was stuck at 160 for a while. After I considered my almost week off from the gym, I went to the grocery s tore and bought a few healthy foods I do not normally buy, 100 calorie wholey guacamole and frozen talapia. I do eat healthy anyway but these little purchases were enough to get me moving again. As if I was starting a new regimen and I was excited to use the new energy at the gym. I dragged my butt back to spin class last week and that has spiraled into more classes again and new work out routines. My goal is that everytime I go to the gym no matter what I do, whether it be a routine I always do, I ALWAYS make sure to do at least 1-2 exercises/machine Ive never done/used before and that keeps me excited and motivated! I hope this helps!

I have also started doing a couple full body low impact exercises that I just sort of came up with if youre interested in them!! Good luck!!