Constipation

Options
2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    10 grams of creatine... cure that right quick.

Just drink plenty of water, and don't go far from a bathroom
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Nothing gets things going for me faster than brussel sprouts. I always keep a frozen bag in my freezer for "emergencies". :smiley:

Blah I'd have to be plugged up for a week before I'd resort to eating brussel sprouts :sick: :wink:

I love Brussels sprouts, but I definitely don't get that effect from them. About the only thing that will send me hurtling for the bathroom is alfredo sauce, particularly at a certain chain of restaurant.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the water!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,734 Member
    Options
    Fiber is important, but +1 to those mentioning fat, water, and exercise/activity equally.

A lack of fat is often the reason for constipation when people try to cut calories . . . you want to be getting around 0.35-0.45g fat per pound of healthy goal weight daily, as a minimum.

Furthermore, many vitamins won't do you the maximum good unless you're eating fat with them, so try to have a bit with each meal, especially the meals with lots of veggies. Avocados, nuts, and olive oil are a few good sources.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Magnesium works well. So does a lot of vitamin C. And drink plenty of water.
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with constipation also because I have IBS. I use Benefiber everyday and if that does not work I take Restorealax for a couple of days. After that, I seem to be okay for awhile and when it gets bad again I repeat. For a person like me it is very important to keep ahead of it so I do not get another IBS attack.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and Miralax are a pretty regular occurrence for me. Drastically increasing fiber can have the opposite effect. Lots of water (I'm bad at that).
  • jalapenopizza
    jalapenopizza Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had this problem a few weeks ago when I cut carbs out of my diet cold turkey when it was a fairly heavy macro in my prior diet. I barely pooped for 2 weeks, had horrible stomach pain, and actually thought I might have to go to the ER to get an enema. I tried getting organic smoothies with fiber, flax oil, etc supplements, laxatives, and none of it did what it usually would. What did I do? I ate 2 pieces of pizza and BAM, went poo..a lot. Also, those Fiber One bars usually have me going about 2 hours after consuming. Don't do anything drastic to your diet unless your doctor says to. Just take it slow
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    White Castle. They don't call them "sliders" for nothing. :)
  • Tiffany8620
    Tiffany8620 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same issues. Added Benefiber twice a day. Much improvement. :)
  • fiberopticjellyfishmfp
    fiberopticjellyfishmfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My dr told me to take Metamucil daily
  • onlytruemanhere83
    onlytruemanhere83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Dude i totally loved the name of this thread. Thankyou
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,734 Member
    Options
    My dr told me to take Metamucil daily

Yeah, my doctor told me to take a fiber supplement when I was having constipation. In my case, that was totally wrong. I was already getting enough fiber, but not enough water. Taking the fiber supplement totally made it worse. Won't be true for everyone, of course, but I'll bet I'm not unique.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this tonight: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-magnesium-citrate-saline-laxative-oral-solution-grape/ID=prod5604183-product. Plus I got a regular calcium citrate supplement I'm going to start taking daily. I keep Miralax on hand, too, but it doesn't always work as fast as I want.