Hitting 1,200cal.

2»

Replies

• TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    I suspect some people are terrible at estimating. I suggest a scale. I'm 4'11 and <100lbs and I'd lose weight if I only ate 1000 calories a day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    TDEE IS 1700

So - if you are accurately calculating your calorie intake......if your TDEE estimate is a good one.....you could eat 1200 calories a day and lose 1 pound a week.

Keep in mind....it's all estimates. Sodium, time of month, sore muscles, waste cycle.....all mess with the scale. Weight loss will NOT be linear. You might not lose for a couple of weeks, then Bam! 2 pounds lost. You are looking for a downward trend.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    OP, are you using a food scale? If not you are probably eating more than you think. Pick one up at Walmart or Amazon and use it for everything you possibly can for at least a couple of weeks. When I started using one, it was eye-opening!
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    You can look at my diary if you would like. I opened it up today. Today looks like a 1200 cal day for me. Approx 1400 to 1600 over the weekend.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    OP can you open your diary?
  • 29march2014
    29march2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi guys on the subject of 1200 I'm struggling - it's funny as the things that have great protein, low carb, low sugar seem to sky rocket with the calories!! I looked at what I planned today and well I might as well just spend my day drinking coffee and eating apples and peanut butter from a jar!! Eggs and canned tuna are high calories along with 1 piece if bread! Even if it's low carb bread! Also am noticing it's the flavouring I.e mayo or sauce on salad as an example, the flavouring adds high calories! So I feel I can bearly have a meal as I go over my points because of the calories of things. I'm truly lost! I haven't been on for a while as I've been giving up smoking and drinking so have put on 5kg but I'm in the stage of changing my lifestyle permanently so if you could help me get my head around it I'd appreciate xx
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Hi guys on the subject of 1200 I'm struggling - it's funny as the things that have great protein, low carb, low sugar seem to sky rocket with the calories!! I looked at what I planned today and well I might as well just spend my day drinking coffee and eating apples and peanut butter from a jar!! Eggs and canned tuna are high calories along with 1 piece if bread! Even if it's low carb bread! Also am noticing it's the flavouring I.e mayo or sauce on salad as an example, the flavouring adds high calories! So I feel I can bearly have a meal as I go over my points because of the calories of things. I'm truly lost! I haven't been on for a while as I've been giving up smoking and drinking so have put on 5kg but I'm in the stage of changing my lifestyle permanently so if you could help me get my head around it I'd appreciate xx

1200 is a default minimum before exercise. If you plan exercise, plan to eat more. 1200 is more appropriate for petite and/or elderly women.......if that's not you, then you chose an aggressive weekly weight loss goal. Slow down weight loss a bit, get additional calories.

Dietary fat is calorie dense. Mayo is mostly fat. I use a little mayo mixed with mustard. Greek yogurt can be the base for creamy dressings.

If you don't have a medical issue with carbs - don't eliminate them unless that is a lifestyle change also. I'm older but eat an average of 1500 (exercise helps). Yes, weight loss is slower. But those calories allow for a treat here and there, more like "real life" and less like a diet.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    I don't think that eggs and canned tuna are too high in calories. One egg is about 70 calories or so and a pouch of tuna is around 80 calories and is packed with protein. For breakfast I may have one egg with a serving of fruit or one egg on toast with 1/4 of an avocado or fry an egg and eat it with an extra thin Mission corn tortilla and a side of fruit. Sometimes I use a laughing cow wedge (pepper jack) on with my egg and tortilla. A whole wedge is 35 cal, low in fat, and adds great flavor. Toast with a TBSP PB and a TBSP allfruit Jelly with a cup of milk. Overnight oats. For AM snack I like to have 1/2 pouch of tuna (but you can eat the whole pouch) and instead of mayo I add in a wedge of laughing cow cheese and eat that with some WW crackers. Or a cup of milk and a serving of fruit. At lunch I usually have a salad and sometimes I use a full fat dressing and when I do I use one TBSP. If I use a low fat dressing then I use two TBSP. With my salad I usually enjoy 3 oz of a potato usually only seasoned with S&P. I'm a plain jane when it comes to food and S&P is usually enough for me. PM snack I have 16 pistachios and a fruit (1 cup melon, 17 grapes, berries). Dinner I usually have a protein mostly chicken with steamed broccoli and some kinda starch (1/3 c rice/quinoa/pasta or 1/2 c potato). I love broccoli so I can eat it all day everyday. Of course you can use a variety of veggies. Avocado is a healthy fat that I love to use too. I used to eat 1-2 avocados a day but now I limit myself to 1/4 an avocado per serving.

You are welcome to look at my diary if you want. I was doing 1200 for a long while but recently upped my intake.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member

I had a Starkist tuna pouch, dehydrated onions, 1 TBSP Miracle Whip light, on a Kangaroo wheat pita pocket for lunch. It was only 185 calories. I also had carrot sticks, dill pickle and Light String cheese. My whole lunch was under 250 calories.

• ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    You are welcome to view my diary :)
  • Leboo74
    Leboo74 Posts: 30 Member
    Just thought to measure myself. I haven't lost weight, but I've lost 2 inches in my bust and 2 in my waist.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    I eat around 1200 NET or 1400-1600 with exercise. I find that eating a consistent amount per meal and with snacks make it easy to hit 1200 (if not over). There are multiple ways to do it, but it depends on if you're a snacker or not (i am), so a typical day will look like this:

Breakfast - 250-350 cal
    Lunch - 300-400 cal
    Dinner - 350-450 cal
    Snacks - whatever is left over, each snack approx. 100 cal each

If I'm lacking in calories by the end of the day, I'll eat avocado, peanut butter, or bank the extra for the weekend. However, I try never to bank more than 250 calories since I'm at a 1.5 lb loss rn, and I try not to do it often.