Overweight but trying to tone arms... help!

Options
So, I'm super overweight-- my main focus is to get my arms toned (besides drop a lot of weight).... what do you suggest would be the best way to do this? Focus on cardio (which I do anyway), or focus on weights. i've heard different things. I've heard you need to drop the fat to tone whats there..... (cardio).... or vise versa. I just know I want these bat wings gone!

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Nikki,
    You need to do both. It's not one or the other. A good combo of cardio and weight lifting will help you burn fat and gain muscle. We've talked about ChaLEAN Extreme and it is the perfect combination of those things. Call me. I'll help you.:flowerforyou:
  • hsquared87
    hsquared87 Posts: 73
    Options
    Weights for sure! Since I started doing weight training 3 times a week I've lost 4 inches not all in my arms of course but all over my body. Plus I lost like 3 lbs. Just so you know i've only been weight training like this since July 4th. Hope it helps!

hsquared87
  • Sirchunx
    Sirchunx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Toning in many circles is a myth. You are either putting on muscle or not putting on muscle there is no in between. For you besides eating on a calorie deficit I would suggest some compound lifts 3 days a week (crossfit might be a good start or at least the right direction) and cardio on the days you do not lift.

Some people say its impossible to put on muscle while eating a calorie deficit but it really depends on your body type. If you have more than 10%+ bf to lose than weight training while cutting calories is all you need to shed lbs and "tone" add cardio on your off days and you will help the process out greatly.

It takes time but it will get the job done. And don't worry about ending up looking like a body builder. Women naturally have a harder time putting on muscle than men because of estrogen & testosterone levels.