watch out what you wish for

Options
dadsafrantic
dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
so i saw this lovely piece of grass fed rib eye on sale for $8.99 pound. i thought wow that's a great price. so i bought it. i'm thinking this is going to be great. i went a little light on intake today just so i would have plenty of room left for a 12 oz steak. no problem. what's better with steak than blue cheese and arugula? not much. so i get home and do a little salt and pepper on the steak, fire up the grill get the salad ready and cook the steak a beautiful medium rare. i let the steak rest. i sit down and dig in and...it was kinda gross. i guess my tastes have changed since i started to eat healthier. the flavor wasn't what i remembered. it's left me feeling heavy and slightly queezy. the best part is my lips feel like i've been kissing a pound of butter. sexy. i think next time i'll not have a next time. really though i think i've grown to like a small bit of many things in a single meal.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    That made me sad.
    As I want some of that right now. And I can't even enjoy it vicariously through you.

You're not the only one this post made sad...think of the children.
    the_sad_cows.jpg

• cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Maybe you never ate the steak, it sounds like it was all a dream, a really bad dream.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I had steak tonight. Thanks for posting this - great meal idea!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I grew up eating NY Strip steaks (family owned a meat mkt) and I still eat them now, just not that often.

Never liked ribeye; too much loose and unincorporated fat tissue which is just tossed out (adds weight and cost but not eaten) and causes flare ups when grilling. A well marbled strip steak (where the fat is integrated w/the meat) is much tasting better IMO.

Anyway, I buy a slab of NY strip at Costco and cut them myself into 1.5-2" 1-1.5# steaks which is the best size/wt for grilling or smoking, especially if you like 'em rare like I do.

Yum!! :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did you check the expiration date?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yeah this can't be real.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    That made me sad.
    As I want some of that right now. And I can't even enjoy it vicariously through you.

You're not the only one this post made sad...think of the children.
    the_sad_cows.jpg

Yeah like there still alive to be sad!

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    There has to be another reason! I've gone long periods without having red meat, and even the crappy stuff taste good when you go back to it!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Steak on the smoker and a baked sweet potato. It doesn't get much better than that!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    There will be steak on the grill this weekend... along with all the meats... Yay summer!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten grass fed beef before? It tastes pretty different from standard corn finished beef.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that my sense of taste has altered as I changed my eating habits- mainly with things being too sweet for me now. I have not noticed anything different regarding meat- thank goodness.

I think that 1 trial is too small a sample size to determine you don't enjoy steak anymore. Repeatability is key to science- so buy a few more and invite some friends for dinner :)
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten grass fed beef before? It tastes pretty different from standard corn finished beef.

This. There's quite a taste difference between the two.