How long does it generally take for someones body to get use

I am wondering how long does it usually take for someone's body to stop craving a large amount of food. For example, the large amount that was eaten before starting this weight loss program. How long did it take you? Im hoping I will get use to the smaller amounts soon and desire to eat less soon.

Replies

• for me it was approx 3 weeks of 'detox' before i started to notice that i didnt crave all of the time and i wasnt constantly battling hunger pains...
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    It took me a couple weeks, I think. In the meantime, try to eat foods that will help you feel fuller - fiber and protein foods. Feel fuller longer. That might help you cut back on volume, but still feel satisfied.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,299 Member
    It took me about a week or so. I still get those "hungry days", but they only come one at a time. (Usually after I've had diet pop or something very sugary.) Actually, eating the smaller amounts, including protein throughout the day has helped me not feel hungry.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    The mental craving for a large amount of food is different from person to person. The actual physical feeling your stomach gives off can be lessened by eating smaller meals and allowing your tummy to shrink a bit. :)
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    mine was a week or so.... I drank a lot of soda's so the headache was the worst part of all! Just drink LOTS of water and it helps some!
  • it took me about two to three weeks, but I still get them every now and again. The key is eat high protein for breakfast, eat plenty of fibre, wholemeal produsts are more filling too, ie rice and pasta than their white counterparts, and the main thing.....drink lots more water.
    I used to go all day sometimes without having a single drink apart from a morning coffee. Now I drink 8 glasses a day, more if I am exercising heavily.
    Your mind sometimes mixes up dehydration with hunger.
    Good luck and dont give up
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    I think it took a while to shrink my stomach back down to a normal size, in the meantime I had PLENTY of water around to help me when I didn't feel full.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    A week or two. I couldn't the eat the amount I was before even if I wanted to.
  • HeatherYevette
    HeatherYevette Posts: 56 Member
    For me personally, it was the opposite. I was not eating enough before I found MFP. I was sucked into an eating disorder and MFP got me used to eating more. I began eating regularly and the amounts I was supposed to be eating became a goal for me. It gave me a goal to get to. :) Something healthy to aspire to.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    It took me a couple weeks, I think. In the meantime, try to eat foods that will help you feel fuller - fiber and protein foods. Feel fuller longer. That might help you cut back on volume, but still feel satisfied.

was all set to type and... here it is already!!! ;-)

couple weeks for me, I just made sure to include things that were "bulky" to stave off the hunger pangs. Make sure to have some protein with each meal, and healthy fats help too! :-)

Good luck!

With friendship and warmth from Missouri!

Sonia
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member

I'm doing this now.. eating raw (by choice) vegetables with almost every meal. You'd be surprised how full you get if you fill up on them. Im doing phase 1 of south beach and I have to eat 4.5 cups of vegetables minimum. 2 cups of veggies for lunch and dinner. I was so stuffed.
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    I used to eat a lot of food - mostly bread, pre-packaged food, and quick snack foods. It wasn't until I started eating more fresh vegetables, upped my protein, cut out sugar, and nearly all bread that my cravings disappeared. I think it was the increase in protein that did it. It took me about a week, but I am never hungry if I have more protein than carbs.
  • is it cravings you are having or hunger pains? if it is craving, it takes about 2 weeks to totally quit craving all the time. But don't totally deprive yourself of "sweets". Have A oreo cookie. Not 10 but one! It helps. If it is hunger pains eat foods that are not empty. The reason you eat a lot usually is cause you are eating empty cals and carbs. Eat foods high in fiber and protein. Your body will feel satisfied longer. Also learn to start eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. Learn to stop eating when you are satisfied...not full. I have lost 40 lbs so far with this and it has worked. Quit dieting and simply change your diet!!!!!!!!!!

Also more than anything...WORKOUT! It does no good for you to do all of this if you are not building your muscles. Your muscles help keep the fat off cause it burns those extra cals.

Finally, RESEARCH! See what is best for you. Everyone is different. Try things out, see what works best for you.

I pray that you have a successful weightloss and I pray that you will learn the ways to keep it off and be healthy...not just skinny. :wink:
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    For me, I started feeling fuller longer by not eating so many carbs. I am a pasta addict, and I can certainly tell a difference now. I just had pasta yesterday and I can't seem to get full today! Argh!
  • Amysgetnfit
    Amysgetnfit Posts: 231
    Im a grazer.I need several snacks or something to munch on between meals to keep me from being feeling like im being deprived. I find that snacks low in calories high in chew factor really help.like popcorn or baby carrots slices of pickles or slices of red &the yellow peppers the sweet kind not hot peppers. Lol.also try sugar free chewing gum. As you work out &you diet you will notice in a few weeks it does change. Keep at it!
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. We can keep each other motivated!
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Fiber is a great one - when I first started I used a Fiber supplement from GNC - worked my way up to 3 tablespoons a day and it made a HUGE difference (did one about an hour before each main meal) - was SO much more full
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Stop craving large amounts of food about 3 weeks. Stop craving specific foods...hasn't happened. But I let myself have the foods I want with portion control.
  • prettyash76
    prettyash76 Posts: 117
    Thanks everyone for your input. Hopefully my hunger will leave soon
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Took about two weeks for me.

I used to think to myself, "The hunger lets me know that it's working!" whenever I was convinced i was really hungry, but I knew I'd eaten enough food. That helped me get through the first few weeks.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I am dealing with the same thing myself, I am starting this Multi-Herb Digestion & Detox Support Digestion by Nature's Secret. I guess everyone's body is going to be different. I am really all new to this.