Bariatric surgery

Options
bbpoutine
bbpoutine Posts: 3 Member
Hi, My name is BBP. I have been overweight most of my life. I am now more than ever worried about my help. I would like any info from anyone who has had bariatric surgery and has had negative impact with it. Positive impact would be good also. My doctor is suggesting this for me and I have mixed feeling. I am working hard at trying to lose the weight so I don't need the surgery.

Replies

• tmcj1971
    tmcj1971 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had it. Just got 100 pounds lost today. No regrets. It's not always easy but it can change your life.
  • kimcon333
    kimcon333 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hooray!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    There is a youtuber that goes by boogie2988 who primarily does video games but he's a big guy and is looking into surgery. He's covered that topic on his channel alot, perhaps he has some insight that may be helpful to you.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    tmcj1971 wrote: »
    I have had it. Just got 100 pounds lost today. No regrets. It's not always easy but it can change your life.

Yep. It'll be three years since I had my RNY this July; I've been maintaining a 140 lb loss for about 18 months now. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    There's a group that would be happy to answer any questions you may have:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
  • arhoney
    arhoney Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've had the vertical sleeve 15 months ago and It was well worth it. I have no regrets. Once i reached my goal weight i slipped back into my old eating habits. This is my restart. I am incorporating new habits. I want to be a workout junkie.
  • bdcoy
    bdcoy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had it 4 years ago lost little over 100 lbs. this last winter gained about 15back so working at losing it. Only regret forme i'am still finding foods that agree with my stomach. Other than that well worth it
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Post RNY it is painful to binge and could make you have dumping syndrome as well as hypoglycemia. Of course you can eat more as time goes by but you should be addressing your eating issues-usually bariatric centers have therapists and sometimes groups of patients who meet to address struggles post surgery. Surgery alone won't cure long standing issues someone has with food such as bingeing.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    bbpoutine wrote: »
    Hi, My name is BBP. I have been overweight most of my life. I am now more than ever worried about my help. I would like any info from anyone who has had bariatric surgery and has had negative impact with it. Positive impact would be good also. My doctor is suggesting this for me and I have mixed feeling. I am working hard at trying to lose the weight so I don't need the surgery.

Apart from recommending surgery, what other alternatives has the doctor given to assist in weight reduction?
    Do you have any weight related complications (type 2 diabetes, high LDL, high triglycerides, etc..)?

All surgery carries risk and should be considered a last resort.

Many who have bariatric surgery lose significant amounts of weight simply because you cannot eat much. However, does it teach you the right habits to stay at a healthy weight (if/when you get there)? After-care is as important as the surgery itself.

MFP is a great place to learn to lose weight, both sensibly and sustainably. Great community of helpful, knowledgable people. It does however depend on you to do the work. This takes a reasonable amount of self control and willpower.

Broadly speaking the MFP steps are simple (track your intake, track your weight (and size), keep within budget, get some regular exercise). Find out the mix of macro nutrients in your calculated budget that works for you and stick with it. Slowly, but surely (and never evenly) the weight will adjust. Use the system to develop habits you can maintain for life. Use the support of others in the community to help keep you honest and on track.

You did not become overweight in a few weeks, nor can you cease being overweight is a few weeks.
  • zgdijeta
    zgdijeta Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was considering a surgery for few years because I have been overweight for a long time and did not do it in the end. I lost 175+ lbs only by counting calories, taking detailed notes in my diary of all food that I input, tracking my activity with Fitbit, not freaking out when I eat too much sometimes and it has changed my life. I am not saying that surgery is not cure for some people but after all of this I am so happy that I did not do it. The fact is that even though they reduce the size of your stomach you can still get as many calories in just simply by drinking them instead of eating them so in the end it might not be a good solution at all.
  • annapage38
    annapage38 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Before running to surgery I would attempt attempt changing your lifestyle - start counting your calories and building healthy habits. As others have said - the surgery limits how much you eat. Self-control will give the same results, and be hella cheaper.
    And ya know what - if it doesn't work and you figure you need surgery then that's no stress - it doesn't hurt to try first :-) nothing will be lost.

Good luck in whatever you do. I'm always here if you need help or advice.

xXx