Help, I ALWAYS end up overeating past 5pm.

Options
exordiuminseoul
exordiuminseoul Posts: 22 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I end up over eating and not logging things later in the day. Before 5pm I log everything easily and eat healthy meals but after midday Idk what happens and ruin my "diet". I will sabotage myself eat junkfood and stop caring. This has been happening for 2 months, what should I do? Any one else go through a similar situation? :(

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Is it because you like to eat at night? I stretch out my daytime meals because I love eating at night. I won't eat dinner until 7:30, dessert at 9:30, then I go to sleep. Maybe you'd like something like this.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Have you planned out some reasonable amounts of "junk food" to enjoy after 5? If not, it's something to try. If so, stop keeping it in the house.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't keep junk around typically. I'm lucky in that I work until 6 and don't get dinner before 7, leaving me with less snacking time. I've trained myself to drink water when I've been tempted to snack in the past simply because hunger and thirst feel very similar. Keep yourself occupied with things that aren't food. Log out your day beforehand​ so you know where you shouldn't be straying. Vary the foods you're taking in to keep things from getting boring.

... There's plenty of ways to not gorge yourself with snacks but you gotta want to stick to it.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I eat a second lunch around 3 PM and then work out around 5 with dinner around 6:30. I find my appetite is a bit suppressed After working out. Supper used to be my heaviest meal of the day but not anymore!
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well what type of food do you eat in the day and how much?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat after 5 p.m., but not ok to neglect logging accurately. Log accurately, and make your diary public. Perhaps even rename your meals according to time of day, and accurately place your food items in the time of day you ate them. I suspect you'll reveal that your idea of healthy meals are tiny and nutritionally unbalanced in the morning and midday.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem, so I started making myself log BEFORE I ate anything after 3 pm.

I could successfully log after breakfast and lunch, but late afternoon​ and through the evening became a stumbling block for me.

To ease into it, I challenged myself to log what I was getting ready to eat before I ate it after 3:00 for just one week.

Interestingly, during that week, I found several trigger behaviors and rationalizing thought patterns that I then worked on in subsequent weeks to address.

After that week, it became easier for me to log in the afternoons and evenings because I was using logging as a way to monitor my progress on those triggers and thought patterns.
  • veganj1
    veganj1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was going through this until very recently, it seems to me to be 90% will power. If I'm really starving I'll have a banana, apple, or some kind of low carb/sugar snack (staying below 100 calories)

I wish there was some magic answer but unfortunately there isn't.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    When I am done eating for the day even if not going to bed for a few hours I brush my teeth and use mouthwash. I am not sure why this works but it is a bit of you are done eating signal that helps me not eat late at night. It is an easy thing to try.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Are you watching tv and bored, lonely? Instead, Try having a late afternoon snack (same time every day, then going for a nice long walk. Eat supper, clean up the kitchen, maybe have some fruit for dessert, brush your teeth and go to bed. At like 9. Get up early the next morning and go for another walk/run/lift before breakfast. It sounds like you have the middle part of the day under control.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Stop classifying things you love as "junk" or "healthy".

Stay away from trans fats if you can, and obey a dietician's orders if you have a medical condition, but for weight loss and better future health, just eat what satisfies you within your calorie limit.

I lost all my weight in 12 months and have kept it off for over a year by eating what satisifies me within my calorie limit.

That meant/means leaving two thirds of my calories for dinner, alcohol and dessert after 5 pm.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Take responsibility for your own actions and stop overeating.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    I eat the bulk of my calories after 5 pm. :)

Maybe you need to adjust your day.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    SarahFromWalthamForest Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot in the evening, I adjusted my eating times to allow for it.

I usually have black coffee for breakfast in the morning.
    I have my lunch sometime between 4pm-6pm and my dinner and snacks later in the evening when I'm hungry and relaxing.
  • Dragonsurfergirl
    Dragonsurfergirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Some great tips. I like the brushing your teeth. I think I'll also go back to having diet jelly in cups in the fridge and also chewing gum on hand.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Is it because you like to eat at night? I stretch out my daytime meals because I love eating at night. I won't eat dinner until 7:30, dessert at 9:30, then I go to sleep. Maybe you'd like something like this.

I do this too. I train at night, so that makes my dinner naturally later (730/8) and I always plan dessert. Most of my calories are consumed in dinner and dessert
  • NoIdea103
    NoIdea103 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of wanting to eat more in the evenings; I have quite a busy job so don't really have time to focus so much on food, but in the evenings when I finally get to relax I like to enjoy food as a part of that. Like others have said I make sure I keep my calories lower throughout the day so I have a decent amount left for the evening, and I also pre-plan everything (sometimes a week in advance). It's really helped
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like big dinners so I save my calories for then. If you know you like to eat more in the evening, there's nothing wrong with planning for that to be when you eat most of your food.
  • elcorrigan89
    elcorrigan89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I kid you not, since I started eating more in smaller meals throughout the day, the binging after 5 has stopped! I also learned from a metabolic test that i burn calories 33% faster then what fitness apps calculations suggested. I went from a 1800 calories limit to 2000 and now I'm still losing weight and less hungry at night!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Same here.
    I ate less during the day when I first joined MFP. It has balanced out a bit, but if I know I am not doing anything on an evening, I will reduce breakfast and lunch to allow for the 5-7pm hunt for food! (try and have actual tea around half 7 to reduce the snacking time after)
    If I can get home and stay moving, i.e. wash up, clean, sort food prep for next day it helps too