Post a Selfie of Yourself Right Now!

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Actually, it tasted more like the way beer smells while it's in the boiling part of the brewing process, fairly malty. It wasn't too punchy or anything like that. Strong, definitely, but that's to be expected. I think it was probably not too alcohol tasting because it aged for two years. Beers like that only get better with time.

That is different. Most places slap this high % beers out fresh and the bite is unreal, or they try to rush production time and use to high of heat with too little time and the yeast are stressed. I have found very few that do it well with ABV past 12% and I think the sweet spot is around 10% for a high ABV. For beer balance I like to stick around 7% personally. Seems easier for most brewers to manage and still meet production without killing flavor and complexity.

• emilyvesta4
    emilyvesta4 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Actually, it tasted more like the way beer smells while it's in the boiling part of the brewing process, fairly malty. It wasn't too punchy or anything like that. Strong, definitely, but that's to be expected. I think it was probably not too alcohol tasting because it aged for two years. Beers like that only get better with time.

That is different. Most places slap this high % beers out fresh and the bite is unreal, or they try to rush production time and use to high of heat with too little time and the yeast are stressed. I have found very few that do it well with ABV past 12% and I think the sweet spot is around 10% for a high ABV. For beer balance I like to stick around 7% personally. Seems easier for most brewers to manage and still meet production without killing flavor and complexity.

I'm still really new to the brewing thing, so my beers average out at 5-6%. I'd like to make a 10% beer, but I'm a bit wary of the brew time, right now. But yeah, this beer was produced in 2014 (I now realize I said two years, and I forgot it was 2017), and the place I went had just tapped it not too long ago. The waitress said most people tried it just to see, but didn't want to worry about the ABV and passed. Thus, me, a very short girl, was "brave".

I actually think you may be right about the sweet spot. My favorite IPA by far is Belle's Hopslam, and that's a 10%ish IPA, and it's just fantastic. Seasonal, and it's one that you have to "hop" on (no pun intended) because it sells out so quickly. I like Wee Heavy the best for style, so I am used to that 7% ish beer.
  • missy0936
    missy0936 Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Let's do this!
  • VonicaFlear
    VonicaFlear Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh darn, I killed the thread :(
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    na62zubwww90.jpg
    It's a little blurry but was really happy with this selfie from the other day :)

I'm happy with you selfie too
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    jjk2tbdobh79.jpg
    Happy Saturday

A woman who enjoys good beer! I love it!!

Mmm....Beer and Fries! <3<3
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    na62zubwww90.jpg
    It's a little blurry but was really happy with this selfie from the other day :)

Love the Deadpool Belt! <3:)
  • lunidevojka
    lunidevojka Posts: 9,049 Member
    Options
    hvpxs4q5955l.png
    It still hasn't hit me I'm off work
    .it was hell today. :s