Not sure if im doing it right. Help

Options
angelsja
angelsja Posts: 860 Member
I'm logging all my food and school runs and dog walks but my net calories seem to be low but I don't feel hungry. The only time I getva little hungry is about 3pm but I'm on my way out on the school run then and would be eating when I get home. I've set my profile to public can anyone advice please. Got about 30lb I want to lose I've lost 3.5 stone so far since April last year only been using MFP for about 2 weeks

Replies

• Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What kind of macros are you shooting for? You're right, you're calories are a little low, but if you're not hungry. Your protein is in good shape.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The pasta and tomato bake, is that your recipe and did you use the recipe builder? Or did you pick it from the MFP database?
  • angelsja
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The pasta & tomato bake is a recipe from tesco website I had to manually input them though using the make a recipe section why do you ask
  • angelsja
    Options
    As for what macrons I'm aiming for I'm not really sure macrons are pretty new to me
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything? If so, just keep going. Weight loss takes time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i had a look at a few days and there were only a couple where your net was really low. a glass of milk or spoonful of peanut butter would sort you out.
  • angelsja
    Options
    Yes we use a food scale to weigh everything I'm not concerned with the weight loss I know it takes time just wanted to make sure my calories weren't "too low" as I've read they shouldn't be below 1200
    A typical day for me is wake up at 7.30 take kids to school 40min round trip have breakfast at 9.15. Either workout or take dogs for a walk depending on the day get home and have have lunch school run again at 3 home at 4 for evening meal workout at 8pm then snack after.
  • angelsja
    Options
    TavistockToad I always get a red warning when I use milk or peanut butter on MVP due to the fat? I friggin love peanut butter but after 1 spoonful it comes up in red this is high in fat :( it also hates our blue top milkbanother thing I love
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    TavistockToad I always get a red warning when I use milk or peanut butter on MVP due to the fat? I friggin love peanut butter but after 1 spoonful it comes up in red this is high in fat :( it also hates our blue top milkbanother thing I love

i dont have them warning things on, they mean nothing without the context of your day/weeks calories and macros.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    As for what macros I'm aiming for I'm not really sure macrons are pretty new to me

Protein, fat & carbs are macros. These don't prevent you from losing weight, but they differ from person to person depending on health & fitness goals. Some people eat high fat, some people eat low, moderate or high carbs....pick what works for you.

For single foods......these are okay if they fit in your macros. Example, if peanut butter calories crowd out protein needs, then cut back. For most people here protein is the highest priority. Treat protein as a minimum (it's okay to go over on protein). I plan my meals around protein (muscle sparing) so I be sure to reach my goals.
  • RDahling
    RDahling Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I experienced that myself back in 2010 - I was eating properly and I was more than satiated, but I was quite below my recommended caloric intake. Even now I am only eating twice a day usually (which is one time more than I usually eat) and my calories range anywhere from 250 - 1000 below the recommended amount (mind you I have a Garmin Heartsmart which adds my exercise-based calories to my total daily, so the number does go up based on my exercise quantities and how hard I burn it up).

If you don't feel hungry, then you don't feel hungry. That's satiety, and it could be a result of the foods you are eating (oatmeal is very heavy and tends to promote longer feelings of satiety, as do most fibre based foods as well as the protein shakes).

Where you have to be careful is your macro- and micro nutrients. Your macros are Carbohydrates, Fat, and Protein and they produce different amounts of caloric energy:
    • Fat: 1 gram = 9 kcalories
    • Protein: 1 gram = 4 kcalories
    • Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 kcalories
    • Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 kcalories

With this in mind, you can determine what you want to limit yourself to (and keep in mind that different macros are used for different things - fats are immediate energy, protect the body, and allow for the uptake of fat-soluble micro-nutrients; carbs are general everyday energy that, if not used, will be converted to fat stores; proteins help maintain body structures but can be broken down into energy if necessary).

RDI recommends:
    • Proteins: 10-35% of total daily kcal intake
    • Carbs: 50-55% of total daily kcal intake
    • Fats: 20-35% of total daily kcal intake

Depending on the nature of exercise you do, you may want to go higher on the carbs and protein for endurance training (running), or high proteins and slightly higher fats for weight training.

If we take a look at your numbers for Monday, you get the following:
    • Carbohydrates: 113 * 4 / 1565 = 28.8%
    • Fats: 53 * 9 / 1565 = 30.5%
    • Proteins = 138 * 4 / 1565 = 35.3%

The problem here is that this only explains 94.6% of your total kcal (unless your dishes also have alcohol in them - 12g of alcohol to be exact); 452 + 477 + 552 = 1481 (and if you look at the Prana Protein Shake, for example, it should be 109 kcal, not 108), so there are going to be errors in calculations to greater or lesser degrees. Unless you intend to keep hardcore track of things, MFP will be close enough.
  • angelsja
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol so none in my meals I'm using the barcode scanner and the prana protein shake is 108 according to MVP & the packaging my training is a mixture of strength/ weight training with cardio bursts but I also do a lot of walking my weight is currently 11.6 stone and I'm 5ft 8 what would you recommended my macrons be
  • RDahling
    RDahling Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol so none in my meals I'm using the barcode scanner and the prana protein shake is 108 according to MVP & the packaging my training is a mixture of strength/ weight training with cardio bursts but I also do a lot of walking my weight is currently 11.6 stone and I'm 5ft 8 what would you recommended my macrons be

I'm just saying that based on the maths, you're 84 kcal short between your total calories and your macronutrients, which is equal to 12g of ethanol exactly - and that the Prana shake data may be off unless they are going to a much more detailed breakdown (ie. monosaccharides = 3.75kcal/g, fibre = 2.0kcal/g, organic acids = 3.0kcal/g, and polyols = 2.4kcal/g).

Your macros are more determined by your exercise/energy expenditure than your height or weight per se (unless you're an elite athlete doing serious weight training, at which point 1.4g protein/kg of bodyweight might not be overdoing it) - if you're doing any weight training, you'll want protein to help rebuild the muscles being torn down (even if you're doing endurance weight training as opposed to bulk/power lifting weight training). Not sure what is in the Prana Protein Shake, but you may want to trade off to an actual protein powder (I always liked mixing a scoop of protein powder with a glass of chocolate milk), especially ones with cartilage aiding amino acids such as Histidine, Methionine, and Arginine (Taurine as well, but most protein powders I've seen don't have it). Not necessary, but if you're doing high impact running and leg exercises such as squats, this can help offset some damage to the knees and other joints that may come about as a result of it.

By cardio bursts do you mean HIIT or Crossfit? Either way, you'll want your carbs to help maintain energy levels throughout the workouts, and fats to get you started. At a guess (and this may be entirely wrong without knowing specific exercises and length), I might recommend 50% Carbs, 20% fats, 30% proteins, which essentially means upping your carb intake and lowering your fat intake based on an assessment of your Monday intake.

I've gone through a couple of days of your workouts and I don't see the strength/weight training or cardio bursts (beyond walking at a leisurely pace or walking the dog). You may want to start recording these to give us a better idea of what you're doing, at which point we can make better recommendations in terms of macros and dietary approaches.
  • angelsja
    Options
    I don't record them because I can't accurately describe what I'm doing I do one set of 20min excersises which consists of lifting weights for x amount of reps then things like burpees jump squats jumping jacks for 60sec then back to weights and it goes on like that but each day is different then at night I use the Nike training app which can give you any number of combos from stretching to core to cardio