How often do you take a day off

Options
Hi everyone!!

I was just wondering how often everyone takes a day off working out? I have been going two weeks without a day off. I just started working out again about a month ago. I usually change up my routine a lot of the days. Like if I'm tired I will do wii fit and walking. Usually try for an hour a day. My hubby says I need to take a day off once in a while. I have really gotten used to the extra calories even though I dont always use all of the extra but its nice to have the buffer. I have lost 9.5 in a month and am super exxcited to keep going.

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I take a complete day off on Sundays.

I only do 30 min cardio sessions on Wednesday and Saturdays and don't lift those days.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    On average i excercise 5 days a week.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    weekends here
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you are only doing cardio, then you should take at least one day off a week. If you are lifting weights in any way, then you need to take a day off every 2-3 days. Your muscles won't have time to heal if you don't give them a rest.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Run 4 days
    Cardio 2 days
    Nothing 1 day :)
  • butturfly2021
    Options
    usually i work out for about 5 days and take off 2...but still eat right...i have noticed on the 5 days i do work out i have no or very little weight loss and on the 2 days im off i lose more weight....May not be the same for you but it is working for me.. :-)
  • sheller82
    sheller82 Posts: 13
    Options
    I take off once a month!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My last day completely off was June 26th. I don't go all-out every single day, but I like to do something active every day - even if it's just a walk or pedaling on my stationary bike while I watch some TV.

I feel like I need rest days between strength training workouts, but not so much with cardio.
  • QuestForFitness
    Options
    I normally take one day off during the workweek so I don't get too stressed with all I have to do and one day on the weekend. Resting is VITAL.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1 - 2 days a week, I don't do strength training every day and I don't do cardio every day, but I honestly believe taking off a day or 2 per week really gives my body some overall time to relax and repair so that I can perform better.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My body tells me when it needs a rest. Typically, I only "rest" Friday nights, and that's because I usually have something to do, not that I don't want to work out. It's my goal, though, to work out unless my body tells me to give it time off.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I try and get up and moving everyday. If I'm taking a day off of running, I'll go for a walk. I won't do strenuous stuff 7 days a week (except the 30 day shred... I'm trying to do it non-stop 30 days). I don't think there's anything wrong with walking or biking on your "off days," but if you feel tired or sore, then take it easy
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm currently doing Insanity which requires one day off a week - which for me is Saturday.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Rest is JUST as important as active days. Your muscles won't have time to build if you don't give them rest!! It is actually counterproductive to exercise constantly with no rest!

I try to exercise 4-5 times a week, and take 1-2 FULL days off
  • Sirchunx
    Sirchunx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lift Mon-Wens-Fri so i get a day in-between to allow my muscles to heal, and when I go big on my Friday I have sat and sun to heal up as well. I also do moderate cardio 30 mins on Tuesday, Thursday and sometimes Sun nights but it is nothing to hard, just gets my heart rate up to improve cardiovascular health.

The main problem with not taking days off is the possibility of injuries. I used to run 5k everyday and 8miles on Wednesdays without stopping for 3-4 months at a time. I never had an injury. But if you do have the beginning of an injury and keep pushing it will only get worse and worse. I would listen to your body and if its giving you any signs of fatigue, wear or even pain I would take a day off and evaluate it. Maybe even change up your exercise to something less taxing to that part of your body.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When I started this I took off 2 days a week after about 1 month I went down to 1 day off a week and now I work out everyday. I do weight training 3 days a week ( different muscles groups each time) and cardio (running 2-3 miles)3 days a week and then P90X plyometrics 1 day a week. I have alot of weight to loose, when I started I had 130 pounds to loose. I've lost 30 pounds so far. I work out everyday because I need it. I feel better and it's become a part of my day. I work out frist thing in the morning and my day just doesn't feel right without it.
  • ajdx5
    ajdx5 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm training for a marathon & usually take 1 day completely off & another day I will just walk for 30-60 minutes. I think the body needs one full day of rest a week - sometimes 2, depending on how hard you're hitting it the other 5 days...
    Forgive me for asking, but did you just have a baby? (I love your profile picture.) If so, that needs to be considered - especially if you're nursing. :-) (I only ask b/c I have 5 kids & my training cycles vary with that...)
  • BArdovino78
    Options
    Depends how I'm feeling you have to listen to your body. I take at least one day off a week, usually Sunday, but have been trying to take 2 rest days lately.

You have to give your muscles recovery time otherwise you won't see the results all your hard work is putting in! I know its easy to get obsessed with working out, but you will end up with more losses than gains if you dont give your body a day of rest here and there. Also you'll come back even stronger the day after a rest day :)
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Run 5 days a week. On the 2 'off' days, I do light strength training.
  • BAMA66
    BAMA66 Posts: 240
    Options
    Go to the gym 5 days a week normally