relationship between stress and weight gain? How to fight it?

Options
mariesofi4108
mariesofi4108 Posts: 31 Member
edited May 2017 in Introduce Yourself
How does stress cause weight gain? Is it hormonal, stress eating, or a combination? Any personal stories about combating stress or it's effect on your weight?

Replies

• kathryntaylor5437
    kathryntaylor5437 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stress releases the hormone cortisol in your body which creates excessive fat storage. Not to mention if your a stress eater & over eat without realizing it. The best way I have handled stress is to workout, go for a run or whatever can distract my mind. I'm the opposite with food though, I don't stress eat, when I get stressed I just don't eat at all. I have to force myself to do so. Everyone handles is differently.
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    kathryntaylor explains it perfectly. I use yoga to combat stress. It doesn't have to be any certain style of yoga either. There's just something about the deep breathing and flow of the poses that takes care of all the stress. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How does stress cause weight gain? Is it hormonal, stress eating, or a combination? Any personal stories about combating stress or it's effect on your weight?

It's hormonal...if you're a stress eater, that would just exacerbate the problem. I'm not a stress eater...just the opposite...when I'm stressed with something at work or whatever I'm usually so focused on correcting whatever it is that I forget to eat. As mentioned regular exercise is a great way to combat stress.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kathryntaylor explains it perfectly. I use yoga to combat stress. It doesn't have to be any certain style of yoga either. There's just something about the deep breathing and flow of the poses that takes care of all the stress. :smile:

For me it's exercise or walking on the treadmill.

I also find sex to be a great stress reducer.