How do I lose belly fat?

Been using mfp for a month and loving the scale. 10lbs down, 35 more to go.

One thing that hasn't changed is my the measurement around the largest part of my body--my abdomen. From what I have read, belly fat can become deadly for middle age and older men.

Any helpful thoughts on loosing belly fat?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Typically the abdomen is the last to go. Maintain a calorie deficit and if you aren't doing resistance/weight training then start. Have patience and congrats on your current losses!
  • burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    How to lose belly fat ...

If you're like me . ... you have to lose all your other fat first.

It sucks... I wish I had better news
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Last to go and the first to come back. I had a large beer gut and my wife kept saying that it is the worst type of fat. I came here and lost 50 pounds and my gut. I did put 20 lbs back on and am trying to lose about 10 lbs of that now. As I got below 20% body fat it really started to melt off my abdomen. Diet, running and planks did it for me but as they say here, you can not target fat loss.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Thank you for asking this question! I too know it is not an overnight thing, but to see SOME movement on the tape measure!! I know I have lost SOME of my belly. BUT GOD DAMN!! I have been at this for the last 3 months, I am down 20lb, and I have lost a total of 19.25 inches off of my body (this is great I know!! I am SO excited about it!) HOWEVER....only 2....yes 2!! Have come from my stomach!!

I guess I will just have to be patient and keep on keeping on...Thank you for the input on this as well...where I am still fairly fresh into my journey. Better know now than get mad about it later!
  • Joegettinghealthy
    Joegettinghealthy Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for your insight. I guess I need to stick with the plan a be patient. It also sound like I should up my activity level with resistance training and cardio.

Thanks again. I might check back on here in a couple months and report on how things are going.

If anyone has any additional information, feel free to share.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited May 2017
    For most men, and many women, belly fat is primary fat stores...it's a first on, last off kinda deal.

I went from 220 - 180 for a total of 40 Lbs...I didn't see a change in my waist line really until I was around 190. I was wearing a 36 at my heaviest but in fairness, they were pretty snug and I should have probably been in a 38...the 36 started fitting better after about 20 Lbs down. I went to a 34 at around 187...at 180 a 34 is a bit lose, but not quite lose enough to drop to a 32...I'm kinda in between sizes.

I always put on about 10 Lbs over the winter and it's pretty much all the spare tire. I'm cutting the winter fluff at the moment and I'm about 3 Lbs away from 180 which I've more or less maintained at (except for winter) for the last four years...this year I'm shooting for 175 though which should leave me pretty lean and a 32 waist. at 180 I'm somewhere between 12-15% BF and my doctor and I are hopeful that just a bit leaner might get me off the blood pressure meds.

• Joegettinghealthy
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For most men, and many women, belly fat is primary fat stores...it's a first on, last off kinda deal.

I went from 220 - 180 for a total of 40 Lbs...I didn't see a change in my waist line really until I was around 190. I was wearing a 36 at my heaviest but in fairness, they were pretty snug and I should have probably been in a 38...the 36 started fitting better after about 20 Lbs down. I went to a 34 at around 187...at 180 a 34 is a bit lose, but not quite lose enough to drop to a 32...I'm kinda in between sizes.

I always put on about 10 Lbs over the winter and it's pretty much all the spare tire. I'm cutting the winter fluff at the moment and I'm about 3 Lbs away from 180 which I've more or less maintained at (except for winter) for the last four years...this year I'm shooting for 175 though which should leave me pretty lean and a 32 waist. at 180 I'm somewhere between 12-15% BF and my doctor and I are hopeful that just a bit leaner might get me off the blood pressure meds.

Great info. My target is 185 and I've got a ways to go.

I'm sick of buying new pants just to have them tear and bust out. I'm in 38 right now and they are uncomfortably tight.

I'm not really in this for a toned or ripped look. I just need to be healthy. It's more a quality of life thing for me.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Try to do planks and sit ups while you lose, so that you get a nice surprise when some of the inches come off. Good luck.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    So I'm not happy with my midsection either especially after having my baby (2 years ago) so I guess I can't blame her still lol.. but having said that core workouts help and also deadlifts are awesome for the gut I haven't been consistent so I still have a gut but they definitely helped
  • Joegettinghealthy
    I have been at this for the last 3 months, I am down 20lb, and I have lost a total of 19.25 inches off of my body

Congrats on all your hard work. 20lbs is absolutely amazing. Keep it up!

• JustinRa
    JustinRa Posts: 10 Member
    I'm all for doing it the old fashion way (healthy eating and exercise), but sometimes a little discreet liposuction is ok. Clearly people do it.